If you’re looking for a fast and easy weeknight meal, look no further than these rotisserie chicken tacos! Dinner is served in less than 20 minutes. I love rotisserie chicken recipes because of their efficiency, and who doesn’t love tacos? This is something your entire family will love!
I’ve written before about my struggles to get dinner on the table some evenings.
It’s typically on the days where I’ve been working on dessert recipes.
By the time late afternoon rolls around, I’m sick of the kitchen and dishes.
I have no doubt our routine would be different if we had kids.
However, since it’s just us, Jeff and I have gotten very good at scrounging together last-minute dinners.
Rotisserie chicken has come to the rescue on many occasions.
It’s reasonably priced, and there are so many dinner variations I can throw together in minutes.
These rotisserie chicken tacos are a perfect example.
Chicken Taco Ingredients
- Rotisserie chicken
- Olive oil
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- Your favorite fixins’ (my recommendations are in the recipe card)
- I used almost an entire chicken, but this recipe is also a good way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken. The recipe can easily be halved.
- Feel free to substitute boneless skinless chicken breasts. I recommend poaching them in gently simmering water for approximately 20-30 minutes until they’re cooked through, then shredding with a fork. You might needed to up the salt and pepper slightly, since rotisserie chicken has more flavor to begin with.
- Mild, medium or hot salsa will all work; use your favorite brand and preferred heat level. I think the flavors of red salsa are better in this recipe as opposed to salsa verde.
Time Saving Tips
This is already an easy recipe, but sometimes when I remember to plan in advance, I set myself up with a bit of advanced prep.
- Measure out the spices in advance and stir together for a blend, then store in an airtight container. You can also scale up the ingredients. Adding all of the spices together including the salt and pepper, this equals 2 tablespoons + 1 1/4 teaspoons total per recipe.
- It’s easier to shred the rotisserie chicken while it’s warm, so I do this as soon as I get home from the grocery store. After shredding, you can store in the refrigerator or freezer in plastic resealable bags.
Homemade Corn Tortillas
Try this recipe with my homemade corn tortillas! You’ll be amazed by how much better they taste than store-bought versions. No tortillas press required!
Looking for more Easy Dinner Recipes?
Check out my Teriyaki Salmon and Cheesy Spinach & Artichoke Pasta! I also love this Easy Roast Chicken from Foodness Gracious.
Quick and Easy Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups (1 pound) shredded rotisserie chicken (discard skin)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 10-12 warm tortillas (corn or flour tortillas will work)
- Optional toppings: jalapeños, avocado, cilantro, shredded red cabbage, fresh squeezed lime juice
- In a large heavy bottom saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
- Add the chicken and stir to coat with the spice mixture. If needed, add 2-3 tablespoons of water to help distribute everything evenly. Remove from the heat and stir in the salsa.
- Serve tacos on warm tortillas with your favorite toppings! I highly recommend adding a spritz of fresh squeezed lime juice at the end.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)
One of the top 2 faves for my three teenagers! I do not add the salsa until each taco has been made. These are fantastic, so easy, our go to, the best! Thank you for the recipe! We have made them probably 10 times through Covid.
Leah A says
Really simple but delicious seasoning ratio for the chicken! I omitted salsa for my kids but added it later for those who wanted it. I will definitely season my chicken this way again and again! Thanks!
Mmmmm that was good. I’ve used this recipe twice this week. My wife and daughter love it as well, so thank you!!
Great recipe! I left out the tomato salsa as I had a ripe mango and made mango salsa. Delicious on top of chicken with cilantro, lime and sriracha mayo. As a side dish, we made watermelon, feta and basil salad. This was a refreshing and cool meal for a hot summer day. (Loved that we did not have to cook a chicken!)