If you’re looking for a fast and easy weeknight meal, look no further than these rotisserie chicken tacos! Dinner is served in less than 20 minutes. I love rotisserie chicken recipes because of their efficiency, and who doesn’t love tacos? This is something your entire family will love!
I’ve written before about my struggles to get dinner on the table some evenings. It’s typically on the days where I’ve been working on dessert recipes. By the time late afternoon rolls around, I’m sick of the kitchen and dishes. I have no doubt our routine would be different if we had kids. However, since it’s just us, Jeff and I have gotten very good at scrounging together last minute dinners. Rotisserie chicken has come to the rescue on many occasions. It’s reasonably priced, and there are so many dinner variations I can throw together in minutes. These rotisserie chicken tacos are a perfect example.
Tips for Making Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
- I used almost an entire chicken, but this recipe is also a good way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken. The recipe can easily be halved.
- Feel free to substitute boneless skinless chicken breasts. I recommend poaching them in gently simmering water for approximately 20-30 minutes until they’re cooked through, then shredding with a fork. You might needed to up the salt and pepper slightly, since rotisserie chicken has more flavor to begin with.
- Mild, medium or hot salsa will all work; use your favorite brand and preferred heat level. I think the flavors of red salsa are better in this recipe as opposed to salsa verde.
Time Saving Tips
This is already an easy recipe, but sometimes when I remember to plan in advance, I set myself up with a bit of advanced prep.
- Measure out the spices in advance and stir together for a blend, then store in an airtight container. You can also scale up the ingredients. Adding all of the spices together including the salt and pepper, this equals 2 tablespoons + 1 1/4 teaspoons total per recipe.
- It’s easier to shred the rotisserie chicken while it’s warm, so I do this as soon as I get home from the grocery store. After shredding, you can store in the refrigerator or freezer in plastic resealable bags.
What are your quick and easy weeknight meals? I’m always looking for new ideas!
Looking for more Easy Dinner Recipes?
Quick and Easy Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups (1 pound) shredded rotisserie chicken (discard skin)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 10-12 warm tortillas (corn or flour tortillas will work)
- Optional toppings: jalapeños, avocado, cilantro, shredded red cabbage, fresh squeezed lime juice
- In a large heavy bottom saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
- Add the chicken and stir to coat with the spice mixture. If needed, add 2-3 tablespoons of water to help distribute everything evenly. Remove from the heat and stir in the salsa.
- Serve tacos on warm tortillas with your favorite toppings! I highly recommend adding a spritz of fresh squeezed lime juice at the end.
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email [email protected] I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.