Hi! I’m Jen. I’m slightly obsessed with food. I love cooking, learning, trying new cuisines, and traveling the world in search of new culinary experiences.
This is why, after working a 9-5 job for 10 years, I decided to change career paths and dive headfirst into the food industry.
- I graduated from the culinary arts program at L’Academie de Cuisine in 2010.
- I’ve worked as a line cook, pastry chef and cooking instructor.
- I’m a full time recipe developer, food photographer, and blogger living in Washington DC.
- My cookbook, The Gourmet Kitchen, was published by Simon & Schuster in 2016.
About Savory Simple
Savory Simple focuses on well-tested, reliable recipes and tutorials for the home cook. My goal is to help you become confident and fearless in the kitchen!
- All Cooking Levels: My recipes range from beginner to advanced. I aim for beautiful presentation and to get the best flavors out of each dish.
- Classic Recipes: You’ll find everything here from classic recipes like guacamole, snickerdoodles, and German potato salad, to more advanced recipes like Italian meringue buttercream frosting and classic yellow cake.
- DIY Pantry and Fridge Staples: I often share DIY pantry staples you would normally buy at the store, like buttermilk ranch dressing and corn tortillas.
- Learn: I offer tutorials, ingredient, and equipment guides so you can better understand the how and why of certain techniques. This includes roundups like 20 Kitchen Tips I Learned at Culinary School and My Top 5 Tips for Perfect Pasta. I also offer customized online classes, which you can learn more about here!
I thoroughly test every recipe. I believe that with some basic techniques and a willingness to experiment, anyone can be an amazing cook.
Freelance Work and Features
- See my photography portfolio at Jennifer Farley Photography.
- I wrote a recipe series for The Washington Post Food Section, and have contributed to online publications like The Kitchn, eHow, Food52, and Parade Magazine.
- I’ve been featured by Food & Wine, Mashable, and Huffington Post, as well as other publications.
Frequently Asked Questions
What photography equipment do you use?
I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark III and alternate between several lenses:
Do you write sponsored posts?
I write sponsored posts on a very limited basis. I prefer working with base ingredients like produce, grains, meats, dairy, eggs, and alcohol.
I occasionally write travel reviews. Contact me for more information.
My media kit is available upon request.
Can I send you a free sample of my product?
I don’t accept free samples.
Are you accepting guest bloggers?
Are you available for freelance recipe development, food photography and paid guest blogging on other websites?
I am! Let’s talk.
My Top 15 Recipes
People ask me what my favorite recipes are. It’s hard to choose, but I’ve pulled together a list of a few things I love to make again and again.
- Maryland Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes (my grandma’s recipe!)
- Rum Cake
- Eggplant Lasagna
- Mexican Tortilla Casserole
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Scampi
- Cincinnati Chili (Jeff’s favorite!)
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
- Roasted Broccoli with Garlic and Lemon
- Lemon Ice Cream
- Butterfinger Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
- Classic Yellow Cake
- Key Lime Pie