This espresso coconut milk ice cream recipe uses only 3 ingredients! It’s vegan and gluten-free, making it a dessert that everyone can enjoy. If you love the flavor of coffee ice cream and coconut ice cream, you are going to go nuts (coconuts even) for this recipe!
I have a deep love for espresso that has become much more profound since acquiring a Nespresso machine last year. I don’t mean to sound like an advertisement but that stuff is just so darn smooth!
I’ve developed a three skim latte per day habit. When I was younger I hated coffee because it was so bitter, and couldn’t understand why the silly adults would drink something so gross.
But then one day I tried the gateway drug- coffee ice cream.
Coffee ice cream is everything that black coffee is not; creamy, sweet, subtle, not overly bitter… it has always been one of my favorite flavors.
You all know how much I love ice cream (check out all of my homemade ice cream recipes!) so that’s saying a lot.
This vegan espresso coconut milk ice cream is a twist on my old standby. It’s made with full fat coconut milk instead of my usual custard base.
It’s milky and rich, though slightly more icy than my other recipes. The texture reminds me a bit of sorbet.
I like using a bit of espresso vodka to lower the freezing point, making the ice cream easier to scoop right out of the freezer. Regular vodka can be substituted, or you can omit it entirely if you avoid alcohol. I’m a fan of Van Gough Double Espresso Vodka.
Espresso Coconut Ice Cream
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk (for best results, don't use light coconut milk)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 shots freshly brewed espresso
- Optional: 1/2 tablespoon espresso vodka (see notes)
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, combine the coconut milk, sugar and vanilla extract. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the espresso and espresso vodka, if using.
- Chill the base for a minimum of 2 hours or until very cold, preferably overnight.
- Prepare in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email email@example.com. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.