This spicy chocolate latte from Savory Simple will warm you up when it’s chilly outside!
It seems like every year there’s one month where I find myself traveling to multiple work events. I’m right in the middle of that hectic time right now. I’ve been home from a visit to Seattle for just two days and in another two days I’m headed to Pennsylvania. It’s tiring but I’m enjoying catching up with old friends and acquaintances. The more I do this, the harder it is to be away. I’d always rather be at home with Jeff and our special needs cat.
I’ve never been shy about the fact that I’m an absolute fiend for coffee, specifically espresso drinks (and even more specifically, lattes). They’re definitely helping me get through this stretch of work travel. Now that the weather in DC is finally cooling off, I’ve been adding a touch of heat to my lattes. This version (I almost hate to call it a recipe since it’s so simple) is a triple threat: espresso, chocolate and cayenne pepper.
I’ve used unsweetened almond milk in the recipe and really enjoy the lightness that it brings to this drink. Go easy on the cayenne pepper when you add it. It’s always easier to add than subtract. I’ve learned this the hard way on many occasions.
Spicy Chocolate Latte
- 1 shot espresso
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder powder
- ground cayenne pepper to taste (start with a pinch)
- 1 cup soy milk (or milk of your choice)
- optional: additional cocoa powder and cayenne pepper for garnish
- Whisk together the espresso, cocoa powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Steam the milk (you can also just heat it up if you don’t have a frother or espresso machine).
- Whisk together the flavored espresso and steamed milk, spooning a bit of the foam on top.
- Sprinkle with additional cocoa powder and cayenne pepper.
- Serve immediately.
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email email@example.com. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate links. I am a participant in the rewardStyle and Amazon affiliate programs, which help support Savory Simple by providing me with a small commission fee when you shop through my links, at no additional cost to you.