Do you have a favorite month? October is definitely one of my top picks. It’s far from perfect since the threat of winter and darkness always looms.
But October by itself is lovely; temperatures start to cool and the leaves begin changing color. I’m enjoying the milder temperatures.
I’ve worn my cherished Frye boots for the past 2 weeks and will be venturing to an orchid to pick apples this weekend. I might be lamenting the loss of light, but there’s no denying my love for October.
October is cozy. These salted olive oil brownies are cozy. Olive oil replaces butter for a fruity, peppery note and the fleur de sel adds just the right amount of salt to enhance the chocolate.
The key to this recipe is to use high quality ingredients. The best chocolate, a fresh olive oil and a good finishing salt will elevate this recipe to make some of the best brownies you’ve ever tasted.
Salted Olive Oil Brownies
- 1/4 cup mild, good quality extra virgin olive oil (see notes)
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- fleur de sel finishing salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8x8inch brownie pan with parchment paper, allowing excess paper to hang over all 4 of the sides (this will make it easier to remove the brownies). Lightly spray the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl set over a pot of simmering water, warm the olive oil and bittersweet chocolate together over low heat, stirring until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and vanilla, then beat the eggs in one at a time. Add the flour, espresso powder and vigorously stir for 1 minute until the batter becomes smooth and shiny.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared brownie pan and sprinkle some fleur de sel evenly on top of the batter. Place in the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- Let cool completely before removing and cutting the brownies.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)