This Asian Beef Noodle Salad is shared with permission from Healthy Calendar Diabetic Cooking by Lara Rondinelli Hamilton and Chef Jennifer Bucko Lamplough.
As I previously mentioned, this month I’m taking part in a Kitchen PLAY campaign called “30 Days of Family Health” that will highlight a variety of healthy recipes from the American Diabetes Association (ADA). You can learn about or purchase any of these healthy cookbooks online (Use code: KITCHEN2013 for a 25% discount on all books at the ADA online store through October 4, 2013).
Asian-inspired cuisine is a dinnertime staple in our home. Stir-fry recipes, soups, rice and noodle dishes are comforting, satisfying and full of ingredients that give you a lot of bang for your buck when it comes to flavor.
I think we’ve all had variations of these dishes that are full of oil, but the truth is you only need a small amount of flavored oil to spice up Asian cuisine while keeping it healthy. While flipping through my second cookbook from the American Diabetes Association, Healthy Calendar Diabetic Cooking, I immediately landed on an Asian Beef Noodle Salad.
It had all of the ingredients I love using; peanut butter, lime juice, mint, soy sauce, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil… these are the flavors that make you forget about sugar and fat.
I made a small change to this recipe. In the cookbook version, the steak is cooked on high heat in a combination of sesame oil and nonstick cooking spray. Because most sesame oils have a low smoke point I decided to cook the meat in just the nonstick cooking spray and add the sesame oil to the dressing instead. It’s a minor tweak to the original recipe that I think is worth noting.
I know you will love this Asian Beef Noodle Salad just as much as I did! I’ve truly enjoyed preparing healthy dishes for the “30 Days of Family Health” campaign and I can’t wait to continue working my way through these cookbooks.
Disclaimer: I received a free review copy of Healthy Calendar Diabetic Cooking by Lara Rondinelli Hamilton and Chef Jennifer Bucko Lamplough. I received monetary compensation for this post. However, all opinions are my own.
Asian Beef Noodle Salad
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 8 ounces whole wheat angel hair pasta, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 pound top sirloin steak, cut into 3-inch strips
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and sliced into thin sticks
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 4 scallions, cut diagonally
- 3 tablespoons roasted unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, omitting salt; drain and rinse under cold water to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce and rice wine vinegar. Add beef and toss to coat.
- Add a generous amount of cooking spray to a large saute pan or wok over high heat. Stir-fry beef in batches; set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the remaining ingredients, except the sesame seeds, with cooled pasta. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Arrange 6 portions of the salad on salad plates and top with a portion of the beef. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email [email protected] I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.