Last week I stopped by a roadside fruit stand to buy peaches for my latest gazpacho recipe. I have a tendency to go overboard at stands and markets so I always attempt to stick to a shopping list. Never works. I can contain myself at the grocery store but not with local produce. So two seconds after I got to the stand I made a beeline for some gorgeous watermelon. They’re in peak season right now, who can resist? But with just two of us at home, bringing home an entire watermelon means that’s pretty much all we snack on for a week (or two).
I brought about half of it to a 4th of July party, which helped. I enjoyed some watermelon vodka spritzers. And then I came upon a recipe for watermelon salsa from Recipe Girl. SO so good. I figured it would last us awhile but we inhaled the entire batch within a few hours. This recipe is refreshing, flavorful, unique and just awesome.
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup shallot, finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Toss all ingredients together and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes so the flavors have a chance to come together. Add an extra ½ jalapeno if you like your salsa on the hot side.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
email. You can also follow me via RSS, Facebook and Twitter.