Mango salsa is fantastic served with tortilla chips, but I also love using it as a topping for fish and chicken! You can also add pineapple and/or avocado for a tropical fruit salsa. This homemade mango salsa recipe comes together in no time.
How do you brighten up a dish?
While this is undeniably a summery recipe, I’m always in the mood for a tropical fruit salsa regardless of the time of year. It’s a refreshing snack, and it works so well as an accompaniment to a variety of main courses, brightening things up with sweetness and acidity.
I love serving it at parties alongside my favorite guacamole. If I run out of chips, I might eat some with a spoon. Fruit salsa is almost like salad, am I right?
Mango Salsa Tips:
- I aim for a fairly small dice with this recipe, and I try to cut the mango and cucumber to a similar size. It doesn’t need to be overly precise, and you can go smaller or larger on the dice depending on how chunky you like your salsa.
- Use a ripe but firm mango, otherwise it will be more difficult to dice.
- If you like more heat, leave some of the seeds and white pith when you dice the hot peppers. For a milder salsa, remove them completely. Always wear gloves while working with hot peppers. We all touch our eyes at some point, and that stuff lingers.
- You can save time by purchasing precut mangos and then dicing them to the preferred size. If you’ve ever looked at the prepared foods section in the produce aisle, you know this increases the cost of the recipe. It’s time vs. money. This is a no judgement zone! I have no issues using precut produce when I’m in a hurry.
- Try adding 1 cup diced pineapple and/or 2 cups diced avocado for even more flavors and textures! Pineapple mango salsa is especially amazing on fish tacos.
How to Chop an Onion
This recipe calls for chopped onions. Check out my fast and easy technique for how to chop an onion with step-by-step photos!
Looking for more Easy Dip Recipes?
- 2 cups diced mango (approximately 1 large)
- 1 cup diced red onion (approximately 1/2 medium)
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Optional: tortilla chips for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the mango, red onion, cucumber, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, and salt and pepper.
- Adjust seasonings to taste if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips, or as an accompaniment over fish or chicken.
- Salsa will keep in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week, though it tastes best within 3-4 days.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)