2013 is off to quite an amazing start. A lot of very exciting things are happening at Savory Simple headquarters. I can’t go into many details right now but you’ll probably be hearing less from me for the month of January (and possibly part of February). I will try to check in regularly, hopefully at least once per week.
I can say that I’m working on a very fun recipe project and I am so excited to share it with all of you soon! For now, here’s a tasty honey nut sunflower granola bar recipe that’s both vegan and gluten free. I recently discovered sunflower butter and am loving it in baked goods. The consistency is similar to nut butters but with a more unique flavor. These bars are not as soft and chewy as other granola bars I’ve shared; they’re more dense and firm. A bit crunchy without being dry. Enjoy!
- 2 cups oats
- ⅓ cup oat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- ¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup sunflower butter
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9×9 brownie pan with parchment paper (allow two sides to hang over the edges for easy removal) and lightly grease with either cooking spray or coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, oat flour, slivered almonds and sunflower seeds.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the vanilla, coconut oil and honey.
- Combine the wet ingredients into the dry along with the sunflower butter. Stir well to make sure the mixture is evenly combined.
- Pour into the greased pan. Use plastic wrap or gloves to firmly press the mixture down evenly into the corners and flatten the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Look for browning around the edges.
- After removing from the oven, allow to cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes then finish cooling in the refrigerator until chilled.
- Use a knife to make 8 rectangle or 9 square bars. Wrap individually and chill.