If you like horchata, you will LOVE this Vanilla RumChata Milkshake. It has a unique flavor that someone told me reminds them of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. I’m always in the mood for a boozy milkshake, and this one is a favorite. If you’re looking for RumChata recipes, you have some to the right place!
It feels like only yesterday that I first shared my love of horchata, as well as a recipe for my own homemade version with cardamom. In case you’re unfamiliar, horchata is a beverage made from white rice, and it has become one of my favorite special occasion drinks. When Jeff and I visit his family in Tucson, AZ, I always make sure to order some at one of the local Mexican restaurants.
I love adding a bit of rum to horchata, so when I first discovered RumChata, it was love at first sight. Was I actually looking at a bottled horchata liqueur? Why yes. Yes I was. I was smitten. It was love at first taste.
So with me being me, my next thought was “what deliciousness can I create around this drink?” Boom. Milkshake. I made this sweet RumChata milkshake the very next morning and enjoyed it for breakfast. What? It’s hot outside. Cheers!
I’ve also used it to make these Dark Chocolate Chunk RumChata Cookies, and have more recipes planned soon. Stay tuned!
- Ice cream brands DO make a difference. I prefer using Ben & Jerry’s or Haagen Dazs most of the time. They’re a bit more expensive for a reason. The milkshake will be totally decadent! Don’t use low fat ice cream in a milkshake. Treat yourself.
- Use whatever milk you have. Whole versus skim won’t actually make much of a difference here when matched against ice cream and RumChata.
- This will also work with other liqueurs! It’s a great base recipe for boozy milkshakes. Try swapping out the RumChata for Baileys, Kahlua, etc.
Who loves RumChata drinks? This Vanilla RumChata Milkshake is utter decadence! If you like horchata, you will LOVE this milkshake.
- 3/4 cup vanilla ice cream
- 1 1/2 ounces RumChata liqueur (3 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup milk (whole, 2%, 1%, etc)
- Ground cinnamon for garnish
- Puree the ice cream, RumChata and milk in a blender.
- Garnish with cinnamon to taste.