If you like horchata, you will love this Vanilla RumChata Milkshake. It’s a fast, easy, 4-ingredient summer dessert that will cool you off on a hot day. I’m always in the mood for a boozy milkshake, and this one is a favorite. If you’re looking for RumChata recipes, you have come to the right place!
It feels like only yesterday that I first shared my love of horchata, as well as a recipe for a homemade version with cardamom. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, horchata is a beverage made from white rice, and it has become one of my favorite special occasion drinks.
When Jeff and I visit his family in Tucson, I always make sure to order some at one of the local Mexican restaurants. I can sometimes find it for sale around DC at taco trucks.
I love adding a bit of rum to horchata, so when I first discovered RumChata, it was love at first sight. Was I actually looking at a bottled horchata liqueur? Why yes. Yes I was. I was smitten. It was love at first taste.
My next thought was “what deliciousness can I create around this drink?” I made this sweet RumChata milkshake the very next day.
What does RumChata taste like?
Rumchata has a unique flavor that’s similar to horchata, but my brother also accurately described it as tasting like milk that’s been steeped in Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal (with some rum mixed in, obviously). If you like sweet cream-based liqueurs like Bailey’s Irish Cream, you’ll love RumChata.
- Ice cream brands and fat content DO make a difference. I prefer using Ben & Jerry’s or Haagen Dazs most of the time. They’re a bit more expensive for a reason. The milkshake will be totally decadent! Don’t use low fat ice cream in a milkshake. Treat yourself.
- That being said, if you’re making milkshakes for a larger group, you can get away with a cheaper ice cream. Don’t make more than 2 servings at a time, since you want the milkshake to stay frozen.
- Use whatever milk or cream you have. Whole versus skim won’t actually make much of a difference here when matched against ice cream and RumChata.
- This will also work with other liqueurs! It’s a great base recipe for boozy milkshakes. Try swapping out the RumChata for Baileys, Kahlua, etc.
Looking For More RumChata Recipes?
Who loves RumChata drinks? This Vanilla RumChata Milkshake is utter decadence! If you like horchata, you will LOVE this milkshake.
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 6 ounces RumChata liqueur (1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons), or more to taste
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup milk or heavy cream
- Ground cinnamon for garnish
Puree the ice cream, RumChata and cream in a blender.
Divide into two serving glasses and top each liberally with cinnamon.
SHOP THIS POST
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email email@example.com. I’ll try to respond as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations sent to this email will be ignored.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate links. I am a participant in the rewardStyle and Amazon affiliate programs, which help support Savory Simple by providing me with a small commission fee when you shop through my links, at no additional cost to you.