Love Bailey’s Irish Cream? You need to try making it from scratch! Homemade Irish Cream is so easy and it tastes AMAZING.
I’ve recently begun delving into the world of homemade liqueurs, and it’s a lot of fun. My friend Shannon got me started when she suggested we make a Romanian cherry drink called Vișinată, which is made from freshly picked sour cherries, granulated sugar, and alcohol.
It’s really good. I didn’t document the process for the blog, but it got me curious to see what else I could try.
First on my list? Homemade Irish cream.
I love Bailey’s, both for drinking and for using in recipes such as ice cream and cookies. Now that I know how easy it is to make from scratch, I’m not sure I’ll be purchasing the pre-made stuff anymore unless I’m in a hurry.
It comes together in no time, and when I did a side-by-side taste comparison, there was no contest. The homemade version tasted smoother and more fresh. Serious, you need to try this.
Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur
- 1 1/2 cups Irish whiskey, such as Jameson
- 1 (14-ounce can) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso
- 1 tablespoon good quality chocolate syrup, such as Torani
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- In a large bowl, gently whisk together the whiskey and sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Add the instant espresso, chocolate syrup, and vanilla, whisking until the espresso dissolves. Finally, gently whisk in the heavy cream until smooth. Don't whisk vigorously, since the idea isn't to beat air into the cream.
- Pour the mixture into a container with a tight fitting lid, and chill for at least 4 hours to allow the flavors to come together. The Irish cream will continue to develop and improve its flavor for the next two weeks, but it tastes wonderful and is ready to serve as soon as it's chilled. Serve plain over ice, in coffee, or in your favorite Irish cream cocktail.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)