These mini Vanilla Cream Cakes are a soft, dense and perfectly portioned dessert.
Hello, I’m Jen Farley and I’m a sugar addict. If you’ve been following along with my journey this year you are probably aware of my struggle to find a balance between working full time as a food blogger and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
In January I went on a five day juice detox and then began transitioning to an 80/20 paleo lifestyle. I started writing a column over at Parade Magazine detailing my experience. So how am I doing?
Surprisingly well! I bet you didn’t see that coming since I’m sharing a sugary cake recipe today. But I have to share a cake recipe because I’m celebrating.
I’m celebrating the fact that I can prepare these mini vanilla cream cakes, frost them, photograph them and eat only one. That may sound trivial to you, but for me it’s HUGE. I was completely satisfied with one mini cake. I didn’t fall into this old cycle:
- Jen bakes a cake.
- Jen photographs the cake while eating a piece of cake.
- Jen puts the cake away.
- Jen gets more cake 30 minutes later.
- Jen lectures herself for eating the second piece.
- Jen eats more cake.
- Jen feels like a failure.
- More cake.
Does that sound completely ridiculous? Well it is, and it has been my life story for the past two years. I felt completely out of control which was agonizing since I love my job.
By going on a juice detox and then switching to a paleo diet, I feel like I have regained control of my life. I no longer stress about my job and long term health. I’m no longer desperately seeking a solution.
I’ve been slowly bringing some sugar and carbs back into my diet once a week or so. And I’m aware that it’s a slippery slope. But for the first time in ages, I feel like I have a game plan and I know what to do if I fall down.
So I’m celebrating with cake.
Vanilla Cream Cakes
for the cakes
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour (approximately 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 vanilla bean, optional
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, slightly above room temperature
- 5 1/2 ounces granulated sugar (approximately 3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
for the vanilla cream
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 315 degrees F. Grease a large muffin pan.
- Use a small knife to slice the vanilla bean in half and scrape out the seeds.
- Whisk/sift together the flour, baking powder and vanilla seeds. Set aside.
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and cream on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Turn the mixer to low and slowly add the eggs, one at a time, allowing them to fully incorporate into the batter.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Use a spatula to scrape the bowl all the way down to the bottom to make sure no flour remains.
- Spoon the dough into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the muffin pan for several minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the vanilla cream, whisk the cream, sugar and vanilla together by hand or on medium speed in a stand mixer until it reaches a soft peak.
- To serve, slice the cakes in half and spread with half of the vanilla cream. Spread the remaining vanilla cream on top of the cakes and serve.
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email [email protected] I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.