I have never been so happy to see February. It’s a new month in a new year! I feel renewed, rejuvenated, and ready to conquer the world one recipe at a time. Starting with this Toasted Coconut Amaranth Porridge.
Amaranth is a whole grain that I’ve only begun using in the past 6 months or so, but it has really grown on me! I like to think of it as a natural, gluten-free whole grain Cream of Wheat.
I’ve heard of people using this grain in many different creative ways but I really just love enjoying it for breakfast. It’s a great source of fiber, iron and protein and I feel good when I eat it.
To make this porridge especially rich and creamy, I’ve used coconut milk instead of milk. Toasted, unsweetened coconut flakes add a wonderful flavor while honey and almonds are optional add ons for sweetness and crunch.
Toasted Coconut Amaranth Porridge
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup amaranth
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- optional: honey to taste
- optional: toasted slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the coconut evenly on a foil-lined baking sheet. Toast for 3-5 minutes, stirring once midway through, until the coconut is golden brown and fragrant.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the amaranth and salt, reduce heat to low and cover, simmering for 20 minutes or until the water is fully absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the coconut milk and toasted coconut flakes.
- If using, stir in the honey and top with toasted slivered almonds.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email [email protected] I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.