I’m always looking for an excuse to make something new, especially when it involves replacing a store-bought product with a homemade creation. This summer my friends and I have decided to enjoy Fridays at a weekly outdoor event at The National Gallery of Art.
They serve the booze, we bring the snacks (and a blanket for lounging in the shade). This week I was planning to bring cheese and crackers when it dawned on me; make cheesy shortbread crackers! Brilliance.
I glanced around at some different online recipes and stumbled upon one from Ina Garten that looked perfect. I adapted it to include more herbs from my garden and voila!
Delicious homemade crackers. They’re a bit flakier and less dense than standard shortbread.
I recommend enjoying them with some white wine and good company.
Parmesan, Rosemary and Thyme Shortbread
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 ounces grated Parmesan (grate it yourself for the best flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 1/4 ounces all-purpose flour (approximately 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place the butter in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and mix on medium-low until creamy.
- Add the parmesan, salt, pepper, herbs and flour one at a time until evenly combined.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water to help bring the dough together.
- Flatten the dough and wrap it in plastic wrap. Chill until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll the dough to 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to make small crackers, re-rolling the dough as needed. (An alternative method is to chill the dough in the shape of a log and then slice it).
- Place the crackers on a sheet pan and bake for approximately 22-25 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email email@example.com. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate links. I am a participant in the rewardStyle and Amazon affiliate programs, which help support Savory Simple by providing me with a small commission fee when you shop through my links, at no additional cost to you.