You don’t want to miss this recipe for Malted Milk Chocolate Bourbon Ice Cream. It’s a decadent, boozy treat that’s perfect for homemade ice cream lovers.
Who wants some homemade ice cream? I was torn between making chocolate bourbon and chocolate malt, so I decided to throw all three flavors together and see what happened. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn’t.
Lucky for me, good things happened. Malt has a flavor reminiscent of caramel, and it plays off both the delicate sweetness of the milk chocolate and the charred spiciness of the bourbon.
Alcohol lowers the freeze point of ice cream, creating a softer consistency that’s easy to scoop right out of the freezer. If you want to minimize the bourbon flavor so it’s more of a back note, use 2 tablespoons. If you want a more assertive flavor, use 3 tablespoons.
If you’re not a fan of milk chocolate, you can swap it out for equal amounts of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate. I used baking chips, but you can also purchase bars of baking chocolate and chop them up to use in the ice cream base.
Malted Milk Chocolate Bourbon Ice Cream
- 6 ounces milk chocolate baking chips, see notes
- 8 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup malted milk powder
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons bourbon, see notes
- Place the chocolate baking chips in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and malted milk powder until smooth.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat the heavy cream, whole milk and vanilla extract over medium-high heat. When the mixture begins to simmer, turn the heat to low. Ladle about half of the cream into the yolk mixture while whisking (this will prevent the eggs from scrambling). Pour the mixture back into the saucepan, using a heatproof spatula to scrape any remaining egg yolk into the pot. Stir in the bourbon.
- With the heat still on low, stir the mixture until it has thickened slightly and coats the back of the spatula, approximately 3-5 minute. Remove from the heat, and then very slowly pour the hot mixture into the bowl with the chocolate chips, stirring to combine.
- Continue stirring until the chocolate has melted completely and incorporated with the hot liquid.
- To remove any bits of chocolate that didn’t properly dissolve, pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl or quart-sized liquid measuring cup. Press plastic wrap directly against the surface of the liquid and place in the refrigerator to chill until very cold, preferably overnight.
- Prepare in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. The ice cream will be soft right out of the machine due to the alcohol. Continue chilling in the freezer for a firmer consistency.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)
Seriously looks like the best ice cream ever and I love the new design!!
Um, can I eat this for breakfast?! This looks insanely delicious, and the new site is GORGEOUS. Congratulations!!!
Have I told you lately that you’re my favorite? :) Love the new design and layout, and I LOVE the idea of this ice cream!
Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness says
Is it wrong that I just changed my dinner plans from salad to ice cream? I mean, it’s Monday…I need a little bourbon in my life! Pinned!
Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain says
You have no idea how bad I want a bite of this ice cream!!
I can’t get over how much I want to start licking the screen right now! This ice cream, OMG!!!!
Ice cream looks absolutely delicious!
Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom says
Jen, the blog redesign is freaking gorgeous and so clean. . I love it! and oh my gawd, this malted-milk-chocolate-bourbon-ice-cream. . want!!!
Natasha @ Salt and Lavender says
I love the new site design! It’s so clean and elegant. Seems easy to navigate to me! This ice cream looks soo good. I just bought an ice cream maker so I am looking forward to trying it out soon.
Jennifer @ Seasons and Suppers says
Love this ice cream AND your new blog look. Lovely :)
Amy @BellyFull says
I adore the new design. And this ice cream!
Brian @ A Thought For Food says
You said one of my favorite words: bourbon. So, yes, I’m totally on board with this delectable ice cream!
Tessa | Salted Plains says
The new design looks fantastic!!! And hello to this ice cream! Can’t go wrong with a little bourbon. :)
Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough says
LOVE love the new site! And this ice cream, oh my lans. I can’t wait to make it. xo
Allie | In This Kitchen says
It’s totally beautiful, clean design, and you know what? You’re right, a lot of the sidebar is just redundant. Makes me wanna go at my sidebar with a big red pen :P
Anyway, congrats on the fantastic redesign, and wow, this sounds like the best ice cream of all time. Going to save this for that wonderful day I get an ice cream maker!