Hot Buttered Bourbon is a new twist on a classic winter cocktail that will keep you warm and cozy during the cold winter months! It’s unbelievably addicting, and it also smells amazing. If you enjoy hot buttered rum, you’re going to absolutely love this hot buttered bourbon.
The first time I heard about hot buttered rum, I was intrigued but also hesitant. I love a warm cocktail in the cold winter months.
The name evokes butterbeer and spiked eggnog. However, I still wasn’t so sure. Hot butter and rum?
It turns out I love it just as much as spiked eggnog. Butter aside, it actually tastes less rich because it doesn’t have that thick custard texture.
Since I love a good twist on a classic cocktail, I decided to try making a hot buttered bourbon recently. I liked this version even better!
The sweetness cuts the burn you get from bourbon, while bourbon cuts the sweetness of the sugar. In my opinion, it’s actually a more balanced drink than when using rum, which is milder.
Hot Buttered Bourbon Recipe Notes
This hot buttered cocktail can easily be modified.
- Light brown sugar can be used in place of the dark. The end result will be ever so slightly less rich, but still wonderful. The butter is adding plenty of richness on its own.
- I found this to be a perfect level of sweetness (I’ve already reduced the amount of honey from the recipe I adapted), but you can cut it back even further. Start by only adding 1-2 tablespoons of honey, and then add the remaining honey to taste after the boiling water has been stirred in.
- I used Jim Beam, but feel free to use your favorite bourbon. A nice whiskey would work as well.
- If you prefer, you can also go for the classic and turn this into a hot buttered rum. Simply swap out the bourbon for equal parts rum!
- How about hot buttered bourbon cider? Bourbon and cider go very well together. Try swapping out 1 or both cups of the water with hot cider.
For more holiday recipes, be sure to check out my Brandied Acorn Squash Pie, Cranberry Pecan Tart, and Cinnamon Cashew Snowdrop Cookies!
Hot Buttered Bourbon
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup bourbon (I used Jim Beam)
- 2 cups boiling water
- Optional: cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Using an electric mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl until creamy and smooth. Add the whiskey followed by the boiling water.
- Whisk or stir until evenly combined, then divide between 4 mugs. Garnish with cinnamon sticks, if using, and serve.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen says
Such a delicious, cozy winter drink Jennifer! Thanks for sharing!
Leigh Ann says
Sounds so delicious and cozy!
Leona Konkel says
Yes! My husband and I drink primarily bourbon cocktails, but I always want something warm in the winter. So glad you shared this!
Jennifer @ Show Me the Yummy says
Natasha @ Salt & Lavender says
This looks so cozy! I admit I am not a big drinker, but I’d definitely be willing to give this a try. :)
My husband is out working in 23 degree weather (not normal here in east Texas) and wanted something warm to drink with a kick. Found your recipe and thought I would try it out! Wow!! We love it! Will have to make a big batch when we have friends over for a bonfire! Thank you!
Really great alternative to rum! I split the quanitites to make 2, and did all in microwave (except boiling water). Im glad you noted what Boubon you used becaus it makes a dfference. I used basil hayden’s and adjusted spice and sugars slightly. Thanks for creating this!