Serve this flavorful Cranberry Pecan Tart at holiday parties! It’s perfect for Thanksgiving.
“Autumn is the mellower season, and what we lose in flowers we more than gain in fruits.”
― Samuel Butler
Fall always brings mixed feelings for me. I love the changing leaves and the crisp, cool weather. I love the holidays. It’s the season for apples, pears, winter squash and root vegetables. My favorite wardrobe staples are dusted off- jeans, boots, pea coats, merino wool cardigans and sweaters. There are many reasons to celebrate autumn.
And then it’s time to dim the sun. The days become night before 5pm, and the holidays are over and temperatures are no longer hovering in the high 50s and low 60s. Winter arrives, and I go into a holding pattern until spring. That being said, I’ve made it a goal this year to try and embrace these months because, as we are reminded all too often these days, life is short. There is beauty in each and every day.
This cranberry pecan tart is a celebration of autumn and the holiday season. Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and this is one of the many desserts I’m preparing this year. The filling is sweet and reminiscent of pecan pie, but the tart cranberries cut through that sweetness for a perfect balance of flavors.
Because I use cranberries so often this time of year, one of my tricks is to stock up on a large bag of frozen cranberries at the beginning of the season. The fruit is flash frozen at its peak freshness and I don’t have to worry about it going bad. It’s one less thing to worry about when I have (what feels like) a million recipes to prepare. My preferred frozen fruit brand is Wyman’s of Maine. They use high quality, sustainably farmed, Nantucket cranberries that work perfectly in this recipe.
Serve this flavorful Cranberry Pecan Tart at holiday parties! It's perfect for Thanksgiving.
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust, either store-bought or homemade (see notes)
- 1 1/2 cups whole frozen cranberries, such as Wyman's of Maine (do not thaw)
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup honey
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until approximately 1/4 inch thin. Transfer to a 9-inch tart pan or shallow pie dish. Flute the edges, place the pan in the refrigerator, and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Use a fork to prick numerous holes in the bottom and sides of the dough. Line the pan will aluminum foil and weigh down with dried beans. Place on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 20 minutes. Carefully remove the foil and beans, then bake for another 5 minutes or until the dough is firm. Set aside and lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, pulse the cranberries 3-4 times and then add the pecans. Pulse a few more times until the ingredients are very coarsely chopped with some larger pieces still in the mix (a few whole pieces here and there are also good for texture).
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together. Whisk in the honey, butter, salt and vanilla. Fold in the cranberries and walnuts.
- Pour the filling into the prepared tart crust and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the mixture has set. Let the tart rest for an hour before slicing.
You can swap fresh cranberries for the frozen!
This recipe will work with either store-bought refrigerator pie dough or homemade tart dough. Here's my favorite tart dough recipe.
The pan I used is a Wilton Nonstick Round Tart Quiche Pan, 9 by 1 1/8 Inch
Disclaimer: I was paid to develop a recipe for Wyman’s of Maine. As always, all opinions are my own!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email email@example.com. I’ll try to respond as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations sent to this email will be ignored.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate links. I am a participant in the rewardStyle and Amazon affiliate programs, which help support Savory Simple by providing me with a small commission fee when you shop through my links, at no additional cost to you.