Have you ever tried making your own everything bagel seasoning? It comes together in no time and tastes better than the store-bought versions! This everything bagel spice blend is so versatile; Sprinkle it over plain bagels with cream cheese, into eggs, or over avocado toast!
Everything bagels have always been my favorite (though I’m also partial to cinnamon raisin bagels). I recently began making my own homemade everything bagel seasoning, and I can’t believe I waited this long! I’ve been adding it to everything.
How to Make Everything Bagel Seasoning
This DIY everything bagel seasoning will save you time and money, it tastes better, and you can customize the recipe according to your own personal preferences. All you need to do is grab the ingredients, combine them evenly using a fork or whisk, and then store in an airtight container at room temperature.
If this is a seasoning blend you’ll be using frequently, you can scale the recipe up for a larger batch. Or, if you don’t think you’ll use it more than once, you can cut the recipe down by half or more (knowing some basic kitchen math like how many teaspoons are in a tablespoon will help quite a bit with that).
What is Everything Bagel Seasoning?
Everything bagel seasoning is a blend of ingredients you may already have in your spice cabinet, including sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried minced garlic, dried minced onion, and salt. The name “bagel” is in the name since this seasoning was originally developed for bagels, but it can be used in many ways.
What’s The Difference Between Garlic Powder and Dried Minced Garlic?
The difference between dried minced garlic and garlic powder is texture. Garlic powder has a typical finely ground spice consistency, while granulated garlic is flaky and coarse. If you’ve used dried minced onion, it has almost the exact same consistency.
I purchase dried garlic from Amazon, since it can be hard to locate at the grocery store.
How to Use Everything Bagel Seasoning
Despite its name, there are so many ways to use this spice blend! I typically only keep plain bagels at home since they’re the most versatile, so I will generously sprinkle this blend over a freshly toasted plain bagel topped with cream cheese. Some other ways to use it include:
- Add to scrambled eggs, omelettes, or fried eggs
- Add to macaroni and cheese
- Sprinkle over avocado toast
- Use as a rub on meat, such as roasted chicken or steak
- Sprinkle over a salad
- Make an everything bagel compound butter
- Sprinkle over roasted vegetables (I love it with roasted broccoli)
More Homemade Spice Blends
Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried minced garlic (garlic powder may be substituted; see notes)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (toasted or regular, see notes)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste (can be omitted)
- Measure the minced onion, garlic, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and salt into a small bowl.
- Mix together with a fork or small whisk until completely blended.
- Use immediately or store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email email@example.com. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.