These chocolate pretzel peanut butter blondies are an easy-to-prepare dessert made with King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour.
These blondies have a big secret and you’d never guess it from tasting them. They’re made with whole wheat flour! Not something you typically associate with desserts, right? To be more specific, they’re made with King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour. I’d never even heard of such a thing until recently and was curious to know if it actually offered similar results to all purpose flour. King Arthur graciously provided me with a sample bag to test as well as some of their bittersweet chocolate disks.
Let’s start with the flour. King Arthur’s white whole wheat flour is milled from hard white spring wheat, rather than the traditional red wheat. 1/4 cup of the flour has 3 grams of fiber as opposed to the unbleached all purpose flour, which has less than 1 gram. That’s not bad at all! I’m not going to call it health food but it’s always nice to sneak some extra fiber in. But how does it taste?
I was worried there would be that dense, grainy texture you get with traditional whole wheat flour. It’s fine in bread but not in most desserts. The truth is you would never know these blondies were made with whole wheat flour. They’re soft, moist and delicious. I see no reason this flour wouldn’t be a great substitute in other baked goods such as cookies, muffins and so on. I think it would have been great in Monday’s steamed kimchi buns.
The bittersweet chocolate disks were also wonderful. I typically use chocolate bars to make ganache but these are less messy and easier to measure out by weight. The ganache turned out smooth, rich and easy to pipe. I’m keeping a supply of them on hand from now on!
If you’re a fan of sweet and salty desserts like I am, these chocolate pretzel peanut butter blondies are my gift to you. The pretzels provide a salty crunch both inside and out. They’re yummy even without the ganache, but how can you ever go wrong with more chocolate?
Chocolate Pretzel Peanut Butter Blondies
Chocolate pretzel peanut butter blondies:
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup King Arthur white whole wheat flour or regular all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate covered pretzels, coarsely chopped
- chopped pretzels for garnish
Chocolate peanut butter ganache:
- 6 ounces King Arthur Flour bittersweet chocolate discs or regular bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg, vanilla and brown sugar until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until smooth.
- Stir in the peanut butter chips and chocolate covered pretzels.
- Pour into the greased pan, spreading the mixture evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- While the blondies are baking, prepare the ganache:
- Place chocolate in a bowl.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan or the microwave until simmering.
- Slowly pour over the chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in peanut butter.
- Once the blondies have cooled a bit, remove them from the pan. Carefully slice into 9 even pieces.
- Top blondies with the ganache (see note).
- Sprinkle with chopped pretzels.
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email [email protected] I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.
Disclaimer: King Arthur Flour provided me with white whole wheat flour and bittersweet chocolate disks to review for this recipe. I received no monetary compensation and all opinions expressed in this post are my own.