Chai Spiced Pistachio Snowdrop Cookies will add an exotic twist to your holiday parties!
What a strange, surreal, and freakish winter it has been so far. In less than one week Jeff and I are headed to Tucson, AZ for Christmas with his family and I cannot wait to get out of town.
I feel distracted and unsettled. I’m tired. I’m also craving normalcy and my old routine and I know I might not get back there until the beginning of next year.
It’s ok, though. Things are definitely moving in the right direction. And I’m looking forward to visiting with family and eating some quality Mexican food (something DC sadly lacks).
Regardless of my mood or energy level, the holidays are here and the show must go on. I’ve made these chai spiced pistachio snowdrop cookies several times now and they’re pretty incredible.
The fragrant combination of cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and allspice is downright addicting.
The chai spices bring an exotic twist to these classic snowdrop cookies (also known as Russian Tea Cookies and Mexican Wedding Cookies). The pistachio flour adds an additional tasty twist and slight green hue.
I bought my pistachio flour online but you can also use use roasted, unsalted pistachios that have been ground in a food processor.
If you prefer, almond flour (which is available at most grocery stores) can be substituted instead.
I’m looking forward to Christmas. Before we know it, winter will have passed and spring will arrive with sunlight, beautiful flowers and warmer temperatures.
Until then I’m going to work hard, keep out of trouble and enjoy the cookies.
Chai Spiced Pistachio Snowdrop Cookies
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 ounces confectioners' sugar (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour (approximately 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/4 ounces pistachio flour, see notes (approximately 1 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, confectioners sugar and vanilla for several minutes until light and fluffy.
- Sift the all purpose flour and salt together.
- Turn the mixer speed down to low and slowly add the pistachio flour followed by the all purpose flour. Scrape down the sides once or twice to make sure the dough is evenly mixed.
- Use a tablespoon-sized scoop to measure out cookies. Use your hands to roll each cookie into a ball.
- Chill the cookies for 15 minutes and then bake for 20 minutes. While the cookies are baking, sift together the topping ingredients in a bowl.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. While they're still warm, carefully coat each cookie in the sugar mixture and set aside to cool. Once the cookies have cooled (about 15-20 minutes), toss them again in the sugar mixture.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)