This Arugula Salad Recipe with Soft-Boiled Eggs, Bacon, and Shallot Dijon Vinaigrette is a healthy lunch or dinner option all year round. While the recipe title may seem a bit long, this is not a complicated arugula salad to prepare, and the flavors are absolutely incredible. It tastes like something you would order at a restaurant!
This recipe is a twist on the classic lyonnaise salad – a summer arugula salad with soft-boiled eggs, bacon, parmesan cheese, toasted slivered almonds and a shallot dijon vinaigrette.
It’s such a wonderful recipe, with so many complementary flavors. If you’re unfamiliar with soft-boiled eggs, I’ve got several tips on how you can prepare them perfectly every time.
If you want a super in depth tutorial on how to soft boil an egg, be sure to check out my perfect soft-boiled eggs post. But here are a few basics to get you started.
How to Soft-Boil An Egg
- Add approximately 1/2 inch of water to a medium saucepan, and bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Take 1-6 large eggs directly from the refrigerator (you want them chilled. Using tongs, lay the eggs VERY gently in the bottom of the pan.
- Cover and steam for exactly 6 1/2 minutes. Don’t adjust the heat level.
- After 6 1/2 minutes, run cold water into the pan for 30 seconds, which will halt the cooking process. Peel and serve the eggs immediately.
Again, head over to my soft-boiled egg post to learn why this method is so foolproof.
Looking for more salad recipes?
Check out my Warm Zucchini Salad, Heirloom Tomato Panzanella, and my Sweet Potato, Apple and Avocado Salad (one of my personal favorites)! I also love this Chicken and Avocado Salad with Buttermilk Dressing from Simply Recipes.
Arugula Salad with Soft Boiled Eggs, Bacon, and Shallot Dijon Vinaigrette
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallots
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
For the salad:
- 1/2 cup thick cut bacon
- 2 large eggs
- 2-3 cups baby arugula
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- shaved parmesan cheese to taste (I recommend Parmigiano Reggiano)
- Combine the shallots, mustard, vinegars, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a jar and shake vigorously to emulsify. This can also be done in a blender.
- Cook the bacon in a medium-sized skillet over low heat to slowly render out the fat. Turn the heat up to medium, and continue cooking until the bacon is caramelized and crisp. Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels for several minutes. Chop and set aside.
- While the bacon is cooking, prepare the soft boiled eggs. Allow the eggs to chill in an ice water bath for several minutes before peeling to avoid wilting the greens. Peel and slice the eggs lengthwise right before plating.
- Arrange the arugula, bacon, eggs, almonds and Parmigiano on two plates. Drizzle with shallot Dijon vinaigrette and serve.
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email email@example.com. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate links. I am a participant in the rewardStyle and Amazon affiliate programs, which help support Savory Simple by providing me with a small commission fee when you shop through my links, at no additional cost to you.