My friend Shannon lives next to a Super H-Mart, and I get absolutely giddy every time we stop in. It’s a treasure trove of amazing ingredients, beauty products, and even food photography props. You can sit down for a quick meal of bibimbap. Dumpling samples are handed out by the frozen food section. They’re SO GOOD. I love dumplings. Did I mention the beauty section? Sheet masks for DAYS.
This is where I first got my hands on frozen udon noodles. They’re fully cooked; all you have to do is boil some water, thaw them out for a minute and boom. Thick, chewy udon that’s perfect for tossing in soup at the last second or serving with a viscous sauce. I love them.
These spicy cashew butter udon noodles come together in the time it takes to boil water. I’ve listed the recipe as 10 minutes, but if you have a gas burner that might be overkill. 5 minutes? Boil some water, whisk together the sauce ingredients, slice scallions. You’re done. Dinner is served.
- ¼ cup creamy cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons seasoned (or plain) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Optional: a few shakes of fish sauce
- 520 grams (18 ounces) fully cooked frozen udon noodles (see notes)
- 1-2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2-3 scallions, sliced on the bias
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
- While the water is heating up, prepare the sauce. In a large bowl, whisk together the cashew butter, soy sauce, vinegar, sambal, sesame oil, garlic, and fish sauce, if using.
- Once the water is boiling, add the udon and cook them for 1 minute, until the noodles have just separated. Drain and quickly add to the bowl with the sauce, tossing to combine. Divide evenly between 2 to 4 serving bowls. Top each bowl with sesame seeds and scallions.
I get frozen udon noodles from the asian market, but I realize not everyone has access to them. You can substitute dry udon noodles, soba, ramen, or really any pasta of your choice. Shoot for 18 ounces, give or take.
If you want to add some protein for a more balanced meal, these noodles would taste great with some grilled steak or chicken added in.