If you follow this blog closely you may notice that this recipe is very similar to my skillet peach cobbler. That’s because not long after I posted it I was hired by Clabber Girl to make a similar cobbler using their cornstarch and baking soda. Since I already use their products for baking I was happy to collaborate.
This fall dessert is simple to prepare and will surely be a crowd pleaser at holiday parties. Even though I used Clabber Girl cornstarch and baking powder to prepare the recipe, you can use whatever you have on hand.
- 2 pounds fresh Gala apples, cored, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (I used Clabber Girl)
- 1 cup allpurpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (I used Clabber Girl)
- pinch of kosher salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons half and half or heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- optional: vanilla ice cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large oven safe skillet, combine the apples, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt over medium heat. Cook for several minutes, stirring, until the apples have lightly caramelized and are soft but not mushy.
- Mix together the lemon juice and cornstarch and stir it into the apple mixture. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk together the flour, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. In a liquid measuring cup, stir together the half and half, melted butter and vanilla extract. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. For two smaller cobblers, divide the apple mixture evenly among two 5-inch oven safe skillets. For one large cobbler, leave the apples in the same skillet. Spoon the dough evenly on top of the apples and use a spatula to gently spread it out. The apples do not need to be completely covered. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture evenly on top of the dough.
- Bake for 18 – 22 minutes or until the sides are bubbly and the dough has cooked through. Serve hot with ice cream on top.
Tools I Used
(Links go to my Amazon affiliate store)
More Apple Recipes
Savory Simple – Spiced Acorn Squash Apple Muffins
Savory Simple – Apple, Sweet Potato and Bacon Turnovers
Savory Simple – Caramel Apple Poundcake
Diethood – Apple and Cheddar Soup
Roxana’s Home Baking – Apple Pie Cups
Tales of an Overtime Cook – Apple Crumb Kugel
Disclaimer: I was paid to develop a recipe for Clabber Girl. As always, all opinions are my own.Don't miss future updates from Savory Simple! Subscribe to new recipes by email. You can also follow me via RSS, Facebook and Twitter.