Could I have possibly eaten more junk food over the holidays? I don’t think so. I’m guessing I’m not alone here, right? What can I say, the holidays are a time for splurging. We always visit Jeff’s family in Tucson, Arizona where the Mexican food in plentiful and my sister-in-law’s dinners are not to be missed.
This is mildly embarrassing since less than a month ago I was all “I’m on Weight Watchers, blah blah blah.” But you know what? Who cares, it’s fine. I had some fun and now it’s time to get back on track in the New Year. So here’s one of my absolute favorite quinoa recipes: Quinoa, Apple and Almond Salad with Honey Lemon Mint Vinaigrette. The granny smith apples are tart, the almonds add an earthy crunch, the honey provides just the right amount of sweet and the mint is, well, awesome. I know you’ll love this salad just as much as I do.
Yields 3-4 Servings
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup scallions, sliced thin
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted, rough chopped
- 3 tablespoons honey, preferably mild such as wildflower
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt, black pepper to taste
- In a small mixing bowl or blender, whisk together the honey, lemon juice, olive oil, mint, and warm water. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine cooked quinoa with apples, toasted almonds, scallions and dried cranberries.
- About 30 minutes before serving drizzle with 1/2 cup prepared vinaigrette and toss to combine. Serve cold or at room temperature.