You might have noticed by now that I really love making soup. I recently joined up with a local delivery CSA called From The Farmer and to my delight they’ve been sending me quite a bit of cauliflower. Cauliflower happens to be my favorite soup ingredient (and it also makes an amazing lightened up fettuccine alfredo). This past week I also received parsnips, which are not a vegetable I use on a regular basis. If you’ve never tried them before, parsnips are a root vegetable with a flavor reminiscent of carrots. This curry spiced cauliflower parsnip soup is a simple dish that marries these two vegetables perfectly.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small or ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- ½ head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ cup milk (use soy milk for vegan)
- In a large dutch oven over low heat, sweat the onion with a pinch of salt. Once the onions are soft, turn up the heat to medium and add the chopped parsnip, celery, cauliflower and apple. Cook the vegetables for a few more minutes, stirring periodically, until the cauliflower has softened up and the vegetables are beginning to caramelize.
- Add the stock. Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover the pot and lower the heat. Allow the soup to simmer on low heat for one hour.
- Carefully ladle the soup into a blender. Puree until silky. Return the soup to the pot and add the salt, pepper, curry powder, turmeric and milk. Add additional seasoning of desired.
More Soup Recipes
Savory Simple – Creamy Cauliflower Bacon Soup
Savory Simple – Roasted Gazpacho
Savory Simple – Creamy Chestnut Soup
Cookin Canuck – Chicken Sausage, Roasted Pepper & Whole Wheat Orzo Soup
Picky Palate – 15 Minute Warm and Hearty Taco Soup
Recipe Girl – Butternut Squash and Kale Soup with Fresh Herbs and White Beans