You might have noticed by now that I really love making soup. I recently joined up with a local delivery CSA called From The Farmer and to my delight they’ve been sending me quite a bit of cauliflower.
Cauliflower happens to be my favorite soup ingredient (and it also makes an amazing lightened up fettuccine Alfredo). This past week I also received parsnips, which are not a vegetable I use on a regular basis.
If you’ve never tried them before, parsnips are a root vegetable with a flavor reminiscent of carrots. This curry spiced cauliflower parsnip soup is a simple dish that marries these two vegetables perfectly.
Curry Spiced Cauliflower Parsnip Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small or 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup milk (use soy milk for vegan)
- In a large dutch oven over low heat, sweat the onion with a pinch of salt. Once the onions are soft, turn up the heat to medium and add the chopped parsnip, celery, cauliflower and apple. Cook the vegetables for a few more minutes, stirring periodically, until the cauliflower has softened up and the vegetables are beginning to caramelize.
- Add the stock. Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover the pot and lower the heat. Allow the soup to simmer on low heat for one hour.
- Carefully ladle the soup into a blender. Puree until silky. Return the soup to the pot and add the salt, pepper, curry powder, turmeric and milk. Add additional seasoning of desired.
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate links. I am a participant in the rewardStyle and Amazon affiliate programs, which help support Savory Simple by providing me with a small commission fee when you shop through my links, at no additional cost to you.