You might have noticed by now that I really love making soup. I recently joined up with a local delivery CSA called From The Farmer and to my delight they’ve been sending me quite a bit of cauliflower.
Cauliflower happens to be my favorite soup ingredient (and it also makes an amazing lightened up fettuccine Alfredo). This past week I also received parsnips, which are not a vegetable I use on a regular basis.
If you’ve never tried them before, parsnips are a root vegetable with a flavor reminiscent of carrots. This curry spiced cauliflower parsnip soup is a simple dish that marries these two vegetables perfectly.
Curry Spiced Cauliflower Parsnip Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small or 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup milk (use soy milk for vegan)
- In a large dutch oven over low heat, sweat the onion with a pinch of salt. Once the onions are soft, turn up the heat to medium and add the chopped parsnip, celery, cauliflower and apple. Cook the vegetables for a few more minutes, stirring periodically, until the cauliflower has softened up and the vegetables are beginning to caramelize.
- Add the stock. Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover the pot and lower the heat. Allow the soup to simmer on low heat for one hour.
- Carefully ladle the soup into a blender. Puree until silky. Return the soup to the pot and add the salt, pepper, curry powder, turmeric and milk. Add additional seasoning of desired.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.