True story: I made this soup and then two days later I caught a cold. It was very convenient to have the ultimate sick person comfort food while I was sitting under blankets, shivering, sneezing and hating life. Within about 24 hours the cold had vanished as quickly as it arrived. Is this stuff magic medicine? I think so.
This Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup is one of my favorite new slow cooker recipes and I just know you’ll love it as well.
A few notes about the recipe:
- I used boneless skinless chicken thighs, which I think add more flavor than chicken breasts. But thighs do add more fat to the recipe so you can absolutely swap out them out for a leaner soup.
- I like to brown the thighs in a saute pan before adding them to the slow cooker. If you’re in a rush you can skip this step but I do recommend it. Browning the chicken enhances the flavor of the soup tremendously.
- For the “creamy” element of the soup I added half a cup of cream at the end. You can absolutely skip this step or use something a bit lighter like half and half. But the cream adds a level of richness to this soup that is absolutely decadent.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or any neutral high heat oil)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced (1 large)
- 1 cup celery, sliced (about 3 ribs)
- 1 cup carrots, sliced (about 3 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 3½ cups water
- 5 cups egg noodles, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and brown the chicken thighs for several minutes on each side.
- Place the thighs in the slow cooker along with the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Pour in the chicken stock and water, cover, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Carefully remove the chicken thighs and place on a cutting board. Add the egg noodles, sage, thyme and parsley to the slow cooker and turn the heat on high for 9-10 minutes.
- While the noodles are cooking, use two forks to gently shred the chicken. Once the noodles are cooked, return the chicken to the slow cooker. Stir in the cream (if using), lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Tools I Used
(links go to my Amazon affiliate store)
More Soup Recipes
Savory Simple – Cream of Winter Squash Soup with Spicy Candied Pecans
Savory Simple – Butternut Lobster Bisque
Savory Simple – Cheesy Potato Soup
Barefeet in the Kitchen – Mexican Meatball Soup
Drizzle and Dip – Broccoli and Blue Cheese Soup
The Law Student’s Wife – Minestrone Soup