This Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup is an easy to prepare, satisfying dinner for any night of the week!
This Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup is one of my favorite new slow cooker recipes and I just know you’ll love it as well. True story: I made this soup and then two days later I caught a cold. It was very convenient to have the ultimate sick person comfort food while I was sitting under blankets, shivering, sneezing and hating life. Within about 24 hours the cold had vanished as quickly as it arrived. Is this stuff magic medicine? I think so.
A few notes about the recipe:
- I used boneless skinless chicken thighs, which I think add more flavor than chicken breasts. But thighs do add more fat to the recipe so you can absolutely swap out them out for a leaner soup.
- I like to brown the thighs in a saute pan before adding them to the slow cooker. If you’re in a rush you can skip this step but I do recommend it. Browning the chicken enhances the flavor of the soup tremendously.
- For the “creamy” element of the soup I added half a cup of cream at the end. You can absolutely skip this step or use something a bit lighter like half and half. But the cream adds a level of richness to this soup that is absolutely decadent.
How to Chop an Onion
This recipe calls for chopped onions. Check out my fast and easy technique for how to chop an onion with step-by-step photos!
Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, or any neutral high heat oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced (1 large)
- 1 cup celery, sliced (about 3 ribs)
- 1 cup carrots, sliced (about 3 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 5 cups egg noodles, uncooked (use gluten-free noodles for gluten-free soup)
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, optional
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and brown the chicken thighs for several minutes on each side.
- Place the thighs in the slow cooker along with the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Pour in the chicken stock and water, cover, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Carefully remove the chicken thighs and place on a cutting board. Add the egg noodles, sage, thyme and parsley to the slow cooker and turn the heat on high for 9-10 minutes.
- While the noodles are cooking, use two forks to gently shred the chicken. Once the noodles are cooked, return the chicken to the slow cooker. Stir in the cream (if using), lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)
I’m always looking for a new slow-cooker recipe! Thank you.
Marsha A says
This soup looks great.
Cindy A. says
I’m adding this to my “must try” list! I love my slow cooker and am always looking for new recipes. Thanks so much for sharing.
Melissa Kramer says
This looks delish!
This looks delicious–almost identical to my Chicken soup recipe. I can’t wait to try it with the addition of cream.