These No-Bake Toasted Coconut Bars are paleo, vegan, gluten-free and beyond delicious.
I’m guest posting for Food52 today. They asked me if I’d be willing to prepare a homemade version of Larabars, something I’ve always wanted to try. While I often find the ingredient lists appealing, homemade snack bars are almost always too sweet for me. The beauty of making them at home? I control that sweetness.
These No-Bake Toasted Coconut Bars are so simple to make at home and they take very little time. They’re vegan, gluten-free and paleo.
All you have to do is gather your ingredients, which will include cashews, unsweetened shredded coconut, medjool dates, coconut oil, coconut butter, cinnamon and salt.
Ok, I’m sort of lying. While the bars themselves are technically “no-bake” you will have to toast the nuts and coconut before combining the ingredients. It really brings out the flavors!
Once the cashews and coconut are toasted you add all of the dry ingredients to a food processor and pulse until you have crumbs.
Then you add coconut oil and coconut butter (which you can find at Whole Foods and health food stores). Continue pulsing until you have this:
You’ll press the mixture into a brownie pan lined with parchment and then freeze or refrigerate the mixture briefly. Then all that’s left to do is slice and serve.
You’ll never want store bought bars again. Enjoy these for breakfast, as a snack, or even as dessert! They’re so much better.
No-Bake Toasted Coconut Bars
- 2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the shredded coconut across a baking sheet and toast in the oven for approximately 3 minutes. Stir, and then cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until golden brown and fragrant.
- Set the toasted coconut aside, and using the same baking sheet, toast the cashews for approximately 5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Place the coconut, cashews, dates, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are crumb-sized. Add the coconut butter and 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil. Continue pulsing until the mixture begins to clump. If it seems dry, add an additional 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper, allowing two sides to hang over the side of the pan. Dab a bit of coconut oil on the pan to help the parchment stick to the sides.
- Press the mixture firmly into the pan, using a piece of plastic wrap to help flatten top evenly. Freeze for 15 to 20 minutes, and then slice into 8 bars. Wrap the bars individually and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.