This Tahini Date Pistachio Granola is a healthy, flavorful breakfast! It also mades a perfect midday snack.
Late night snacking has always been an issue for me. Unfortunately, cereal is my favorite evening indulgence, so I don’t keep it in the house anymore.
I’m not sure what it is about a bowl filled with milk and crunchy-turning-mushy things, but it just feels so right at 9pm.
The one exception to the rule is homemade granola. For whatever reason, I can keep it in the pantry without going on a rampage.
Maybe because it’s heavier? I tend to make a one-bowl-and-done kind of granola; this stuff is filling, at least in my opinion.
I love the flavor and texture combination of dates, tahini, and pistachios. A hint of cardamom calls out from the background to add warmth, but you’ll barely know it’s there.
You can double the amount for more of a spice kick. Ground cinnamon would also be lovely here.
As with pretty much any granola recipe, you can add in whatever seeds and nuts you have. I almost threw in some chia seeds, but meh. There was enough going on, and I was kind of digging the (almost) monochromatic look.
Looking for more granola ideas? Make sure to check out my quinoa granola recipe as well.
Tahini Date Pistachio Granola
- 3 cups pitted dates, divided
- 1/2 cup well-stirred tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (use gluten-free rolled oats for gluten-free)
- 1 cup roasted and salted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- optional: 1/4 cup raw flax seeds
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a kettle or small saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Place 1 cup of the pitted dates in a small bowl, and top with just enough boiling water to cover. Soak for at least 5 minutes, until very soft. Chop the remaining dates and set aside.
- Drain the dates, reserving the soaking water, and place in a food processor. Add 3-4 tablespoons of the soaking liquid, and puree until creamy. Transfer to a medium bowl and combine with the tahini, salt, and cardamom, stirring until smooth (Note: tahini consistencies vary. You want the mixture to be thin enough to easily toss with the other ingredients. If it seems too thick to combine with the oats, you can add another 1-2 tablespoons of the date soaking liquid).
- In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, pistachios, and flax seed. Add the liquid mixture, and stir until the oats are wet and the mixture is thoroughly combines.
- Spread into a thin layer on the prepared baking sheet, and bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping the oats once or twice midway through. The granola should be dried out and fragrant.
- Allow to cool, then toss with the remaining dates. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)