Slab pies have become a huge trend in recent years, and for good reason! They’re perfect for parties, yielding a bigger pie with thinner pieces, similar to sheet cakes. This S’mores Slab Pie is from my friend Cathy Barrow’s new cookbook ‘Pie Squared: Irresistibly Easy Sweet & Savory Slab Pies.’ It comes together in minutes, and is as decadent as it sounds. If you’ve been wanting to experiment with slab pie recipes, this is the perfect place to start.
I don’t review a lot of cookbooks, because in all honesty I rarely use them with the exception of a small handful I consider to be like cooking bibles. I refer to those books time and time again.
However, when my friend Cathy Barrow offered to send me a copy of her new cookbook Pie Squared, I didn’t hesitate. This woman knows her pie! She teaches baking classes all over the DC area and beyond.
It truly is a fantastic book, and there are so many recipes I’m dying to try. Beef empanada slab pie with cream cheese crust. Poblano and chorizo slab pie with a hash brown crust. Peach slab pie with all-butter crust. Pardon me while I go stuff my face, because typing that out just made me starving.
This s’mores slab pie is a great recipe to start with, especially for novice bakers. It’s very easy, and there’s no pie dough to fret over (though if you’d like to get past that fear, I’ve got you covered).
I used this jelly roll pan, which Cathy kindly sent along with the book. The graham cracker crust is fairly standard, and takes 10 minutes to bake. After that you spread chocolate chips over the top of the crust and bake them for a couple minutes until they’re just melted.
You use an offset spatula to spread the chocolate evenly, then allow it to set in the refrigerator for 2 hours or up to 2 days in advance (making this a great make-ahead recipe).
Next, you spread mini marshmallows evenly over the chocolate layer. Stick the pan back under the broiler for 2 minutes and voila! Gooey s’mores slab pie.
What is a Slab Pie?
A slab pie is a shallow pie that’s prepared in a rimmed baking sheet (often a jelly roll pan) instead of a traditional pie pan. It’s like the pie version of sheet cake.
Can S’mores Slab Pie Be Prepared in Advance?
You can prepare the crust and chocolate layer in advance, but definitely don’t broil the marshmallows until just before serving. You want them gooey. Once the broiled marshmallows cool off, they harden up quite a bit. I’ve never attempted to reheat toasted/broiled marshmallows, but I suspect they’re one of those confections that should be enjoyed ASAP.
More S’mores Desserts
If you like this recipe, you may also like my s’mores bark and s’mores sundae with graham cracker ice cream and homemade marshmallows! I also love these s’mores seven layer bars from A Kitchen Addiction.
S'mores Slab Pie
For the graham cracker crust
- 9 graham crackers, (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the filling
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (12 ounces)
- 5 cups mini marshmallows (10 ounces)
- Place the graham crackers in a resealable bag and hit with a rolling pin until they're in small pieces and crumbs but not powdered.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and place a baking stone or inverted baking sheet on the center rack to heat.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, butter, sugar, and salt together using your hands or a silicone spatula. Knead and press the mixture until it's evenly combined. Transfer the mixture to the slab pie pan and press evenly into the bottom, but not up the sides of the pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup or flat drinking glass to press the crust down until it feels firm to the touch. Place the pan into the center in the oven, on top of the stone or inverted baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, around 10 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven; it will still feel soft and damp. Immediately spread the chocolate chips evenly across the crust and return the pan to the oven for no more than 2 minutes, until the chocolate is softened. Using an offset spatula, spread the chocolate evenly across the crust. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 2 days.
- Place an oven rack on the top shelf and set the broiler to high heat. Spread the marshmallows evenly over the chocolate layer. Place the pan under the broiler, then watch carefully. It takes about 2 minutes to brown the tops of the marshmallows perfectly. It takes about 4 minutes to destroy them.
- To serve: While the s'mores pie is still hot from the oven, warm a long knife under hot water, make a cut and, wiping and warming the knife between subsequent cuts, portion the pie into serving pieces.
Recipe slightly adapted from Cathy Barrow's Pie Squared.
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email [email protected] I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.