This crème fraîche ice cream is is bursting with sweet flavor from roasted blueberries, as well as a unique tartness and extra creamy texture. The beautiful hue makes it an absolute show stopper.
When I was younger, I loved going on road trips and traveling around the country. During the college semester I would study hard and work for my grades. But when winter and summer break arrived, I was off to parts unknown.
In the summer of ’97 I drove all the way around the country with friends. Rarely did I feel worn out during that trip. I had boundless energy and seemed to thrive on little sleep.
My back never got sore from hours upon hours in the car. My fear of bridges and heights had not fully formed because I can remember driving up the entire California coastal highway with a cliff on my left side and not a care in the universe.
I still love traveling more than almost anything else aside from cooking and photography but every year I feel like I’m slowing down more. There’s no getting around it; traveling is becoming more difficult.
These days my love affair with traveling mostly involves visiting other countries and seeing the world. I want to see it all before I die. But anytime I take a trip, even within the boundaries of my own country, my wanderlust is mixed with stress.
Plane rides hurt my back. Turbulence kicks in my anxiety. Jet lag wears me out for days.
In fact, the traveling portion of my travel exhausts me to the point where I’m not as excited as I’d like to be when I arrive at my final destination. I mean, seriously? I’m only 35.
It shouldn’t be so difficult. And it kind of pisses me off.
I want to have the stamina and body of my 20-year-old self. I want to hop off the red eye flight and be immediately ready for adventure. But that’s probably never going to happen again.
I just have to remain optimistic that none of this will sway my desire to see the world. I’m pretty sure I’m going to be around for awhile and it’s too soon to be giving up on one of my greatest passions.
Roasted Blueberry Crème Fraîche Ice Cream
- 18 ounces fresh blueberries
- 6 large egg yolks
- 5 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces crème fraîche (sour cream may be substituted)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Rinse off the blueberries and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Roast the berries for 12 minutes, giving the pan a shake every 4 minutes for even cooking. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Puree in a blender until smooth and set aside.
- In a large bowl, vigorously whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.
- Add the milk and vanilla to a saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in the crème fraîche until smooth. When the mixture is just starting to simmer (don't boil it), slowly ladle approximately half of the liquid into the yolks while whisking.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and turn the heat down to medium-low. Stir in a figure 8 motion with a heat-resistant spatula for several minutes until slightly thickened. Stir in roasted blueberry puree and remove from the heat. Allow to cool for several minutes, stirring periodically. Cover with plastic wrap that’s pressed directly against the liquid to prevent a skin from forming. Chill until very cold, preferably overnight.
- Prepare ice cream according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)
Avianti Jewelry says
I love ice cream beyond what is normal! At least now i can eat it in a healthier way.
Sini | my blue&white kitchen says
Oh gosh, I think I’m in love with your photography. Especially these dark ones with a blue hue are breathtaking.
Kurt Jacobson says
That might be the prettiest ice cream I have ever laid eyes on. Hope to see you at Eat,Write, Retreat.
So many comments on how good it looks. I actually made it and it is so delish!!!!
Jennifer Farley says
Thank you! I’ve been at this for 5 years and I still get totally giddy when someone reports back to me that they made my food! Makes my day :)
I want to try it! This ice-cream must be delicious.