I adapted this recipe from one of my new favorite cookbooks, Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming. I made many changes to the recipe including tripling the amount of quinoa.
Her version uses 1/3 cup but I really wanted to see how far I could push the recipe, especially if I was going to call it “quinoa” granola. Using one cup works perfectly fine but I will note that you can just slightly taste the uncooked quinoa, which can sometimes have a bit of an iron aftertaste before thoroughly washing and cooking. But it was barely noticeable to me. The maple, agave, vanilla and cinnamon really overpower that flavor. If you want to avoid this I would recommend trying 1/2 – 3/4 cup of quinoa instead.
I really enjoyed having this quinoa granola with milk or yogurt. It’s just the right amount of sweet and the quinoa offers a nice crunch!
- 2 1/4 cups regular or gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 3/4 cup whole raw almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup raw pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup light agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, quinoa, almonds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, coconut and pecans. Mix well. In a smaller bowl combine the maple syrup, light agave nectar and vanilla. Add the liquids into the dry ingredients and stir well to make sure everything is evenly combined.
- Spread the mix in an even, thin layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the cinnamon evenly on top. Bake for one hour.
- Remove from the oven and allow the granola to cool down. The granola will stick just slightly to the parchment but should be easy to remove with a spatula. Once cool, stir in the dried cranberries and cherries.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)