You’re going to love these earthy, fragrant oat bran muffins. They’re not overly sweet, and they taste amazing when served warm with a touch of butter.
I’ve been on a major muffin baking kick lately (they’re so easy and satisfying), and I have several muffin recipes that I can’t wait to share with you. Today’s recipe makes a wonderful breakfast or midday snack. They make the kitchen smell amazing while baking.
I grew up on box mix bran muffins, and I found myself craving their texture and unique, hearty flavor. These are better than the ones from a box. They’re not overly sweet, but the molasses and brown sugar add just the right amount of sugary goodness. I highly recommend enjoying these warm with a smear of butter.
How to Make Oat Bran Muffins
This is a classic muffin recipe that’s very straight forward:
- Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, taking care not to over-mix.
- Transfer the batter to a lined muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes.
Recipe Notes and Substitutions
I’ve only tested this recipe using oat bran, but I don’t see why wheat bran wouldn’t also work.
I like using dark brown sugar because the rich flavor really pairs well with the earthy oat bran and the molasses. However, you can also use light brown sugar if that’s what you already have.
I bet these would be wonderful with finely chopped apples mixed into the batter. I used to add them to the box mix version, and they add such a nice texture and sweetness.
More Muffin Recipes
You can also see my full archive of muffin recipes here!
Oat Bran Muffins
- 5 ounces all-purpose flour (1 cup using Scoop & Sweep method)
- 5 ounces whole wheat flour (1 cup using Scoop & Sweep method)
- 5 1/4 ounces oat bran (approximately 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces dark brown sugar (1/2 cup packed; light brown sugar will also work)
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk (preferably full fat for best texture)
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Place an oven rack on the center shelf and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place liners in a standard muffin tin and lightly spray them with baking spray to prevent sticking.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, oat bran, baking powder, baking, soda and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, buttermilk, butter, and molasses. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined (do not over-mix).
- Divide batter into the prepared muffin tin. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 3-5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)