Serve this sweet and tangy macerated cherry recipe over crostini at your next brunch. It also works well as a dessert option for those who have less of a sweet tooth! Honey and sherry vinegar add a wonderful depth of flavor to the cherries, while ricotta cheese adds creaminess. Torn mint leaves add a refreshing kick, and toasted almonds add crunch.
I know that fall produce gets everyone excited, but I’m partial to spring. Berries, stone fruits, summer squash on the grill… what’s not to love?
We’ve been having an intense heat wave, and I haven’t wanted to turn on the oven. This is convenient, since my oven just died. Right now, this is satisfying my sweet tooth.
I have a major sweet tooth, but I realize not everyone is into dessert. If this sounds like you, these macerated cherries might be right up your alley! Not only does it work as a light dessert, it can also be served over crostini as a brunch option or party appetizer.
Sherry vinegar adds a mild acidity, but red wine vinegar or balsamic could be substituted.
Looking For More Cherry Recipes?
Macerated Cherries with Ricotta, Mint, and Almonds
- 1 pint cherries, pitted and halved
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Optional: kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- Optional: crostini for serving
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the cherries, honey, and sherry vinegar. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, if using. Set aside for 20-30 minutes, stirring periodically, until some of the juices have extracted from the cherries and combined with the honey and vinegar.
- While the cherries are macerating, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the almonds in a single layer on a sheet pan, and toast for 5-7 minutes until golden and fragrant, shaking the pan once or twice to ensure even toasting. Set aside to cool.
- Spoon the ricotta into serving bowls or spread onto crostini. Top with cherries, almonds and mint. Serve immediately.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)