Both kids and grownups alike will love these soft and chewy M&M cookies! They have a snickerdoodle cookie base and are packed with melting, chocolate candies! These are guaranteed to be a new family favorite.
I’m a little behind (a lot behind) on sharing this recipe. I actually made these M&M cookies right after Halloween, when I was trying to figure out what to do with all of our leftover Halloween candy.
Luckily, these are amazing cookies that can be enjoyed all year long. I used my Snickerdoodle cookies as a base recipe, but instead of rolling the dough in cinnamon and sugar, I packed it full of tasty candy.
How to Make M&M Cookies
Step 1: Prepare the cookie dough
This cookie dough comes together very easily. Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar together (you can use either a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer), add the eggs and vanilla, then the dry ingredients. Finally, stir in the M&Ms by hand to keep them from breaking up.
Step 2: Portion out and flatten the dough
For evenly sized cookies (and to ensure even baking), I recommend using a tablespoon-sized scoop to portion out the dough. Roll the dough into a ball, then use something like the bottom of a drinking glass to flatten the dough slightly on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Step 3: Bake, cool and serve
Make sure to let them cool for awhile before diving in! I know it’s tough, but these will be very soft when they first come out of the oven. Give them at least 10 minutes to set.
Recipe Notes and Substitutions
- Baking these for 8 minutes will give you perfect soft and chewy cookies. If you prefer crunchy cookies, leave them in the oven for an additional 2 minutes.
- You can use either regular or peanut M&Ms with these cookies. We had both, so I used a combo! Both versions were delicious.
- I’m thinking these cookies would work well with other chocolate candies. You can chop larger candy into smaller bits (I’m already thinking Butterfingers, but that might be because I have a special love for Butterfinger Cookies).
More Cookie Recipes
You can also see my full archive of cookie recipes here!
Soft and Chewy M&M Cookies
- 5 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour (approximately 1 1/3 cups using the Spoon & Level Method)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 1/4 ounces granulated sugar (3/4 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup M&Ms (regular or peanut)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line one large or two standard sheet pans with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using either a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add in the egg and vanilla, and mix on medium-high speed until fully combined. Scrape the bowl, all the way to the bottom. Finally, add the flour mixture, mixing until completely combined. Stir in the M&Ms.
- Cover the bowl with the cookie dough and place in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes, until slightly firmed up.
- Using a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop, portion out the dough and briefly shape into balls, then place 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Use a flat-bottomed glass to flatten the cookies until they’re around 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Chill the cookie dough for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool for 5 minutes, then to transfer to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days, in the refrigerator for up to one week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)