Delicious, homemade lavender shortbread cookies. Perfect with tea or ice cream.
I’ve had dried lavender burning a hole in my pantry for ages, so I decided it was time to make something yummy. Once I started looking for ideas, I was amazed to discover that there’s an entire cookbook dedicated to lavender. This book is full of delicious sounding savory and sweet recipes, divided by seasons. I plan to start making my way through The Lavender Cookbook as soon as I get my hands on a copy. But for the moment, I’ve modified my current shortbread recipe to make these lavender shortbread cookies.
Lavender Shortbread Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed and at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoon dried lavender, chopped very finely
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Chop the lavender or, even better, use a spice grinder to get it to a fine spice consistency.
- Cream the butter, sugar and salt in a stand mixer on medium-high until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and lavender, then lower the speed and slowly add the flour until the dough is combined.
- Roll the dough tightly in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least an hour, or until the butter firms up. You can speed up the process by using the freezer.
- Roll out the dough to around 1/2 inch thick. I rolled it in between 2 sheets of parchment paper, which isn't essential but really helps avoid a mess and keep the dough smooth.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut dough into rounds and then place them on a sheet tray covered with parchment. Roll the excess scraps in a ball and repeat the process until you have used all the dough.
- Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes for 350 degrees F, or until lightly golden on top. Allow to cool to room temperature.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.