This horseradish sauce recipe makes the perfect condiment for prime rib, pork, and side dishes. It’s easy to make a batch in a few minutes!
The zesty, spicy kick of this condiment pairs amazingly well with so many things! Creamy ingredients like sour cream, while Dijon mustard, garlic, and chives add tons of flavor, and it only takes a few minutes to make a batch.
Now that the weather is finally cool enough for grilling, I’ve been on a serious meat and potatoes kick. I love grilling steaks while my oven-roasted potatoes cook in the oven. It’s such an easy, mess-free dinner! Hardly any dishes to deal with after cooking.
I mostly prefer to do simple steak preparations so I can really taste the meat (unless we’re talking filet mignon with pan sauce). A good sear with plenty of salt and pepper, medium-rare cooking… that’s it. My one exception is this creamy horseradish sauce.
It pairs so well with both the meat and potatoes, and it comes together in minutes.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THIS HOMEMADE CONDIMENT
To make this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Sour cream
- Mayonnaise (you can use all sour cream if you prefer)
- Prepared horseradish– This is a condiment made from grated horseradish root and vinegar. You can make your own, or buy it ready to use from the condiment aisle of any grocery store
- Dijon mustard
- Chives (scallions may be substituted)
How to Make Horseradish Sauce
This recipe is so easy to make! No cooking involved; simply place the ingredients in a bowl and stir.
You can mince the garlic with a chef’s knife, but I recommend grating with a microplane zester if you have one. It releases the juices from the garlic, which helps them infuse more with the sauce.
After stirring the ingredients together, the sauce is ready to go. If I remember, I like to make this before starting anything else. That way the flavors have a chance to mingle a bit, which makes the sauce taste even better!
What to Serve with Horseradish Sauce
As I’ve already noted, this condiment tastes fantastic with red meat and potatoes. Here are some other serving suggestions:
- Prime rib (a classic combo)
- Ribeye (the sauce works with most cuts)
- Mashed potatoes or twice-baked potatoes (use in place of the dairy; either all of it or partially)
- Add to deviled eggs (try this recipe, swapping it in for the sour cream and Boursin cheese)
- Steak sandwiches! Flank steak, deli cuts like roast beef, etc.
More Sauce Recipes
If you enjoy making homemade condiments and sauces, be sure to check out my recipes for Homemade Teriyaki Sauce, Sweet and Tangy Homemade Barbecue Sauce, and Homemade Meat Sauce.
You can also see my full archive of sauce recipes here!
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced (preferably with a microplane zester)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives (scallions may be substituted)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional: kosher salt, heavy cream, flat-leaf parsley
- In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, mayonnaise, horseradish, mustard, garlic, chives and pepper. Taste and add a pinch of salt if desired. For a thinner consistency, whisk in a bit of heavy cream (you can also use milk).
- You can serve the sauce immediately, but it will taste even better after sitting for 15 minutes, once the flavors have had a chance to mingle a bit.
- Serve with steak, potatoes, or on a sandwich! You can optionally top with chopped flat-leaf parsley for presentation. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days (possibly longer, just keep an eye on how the chives look).
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)
We were very pleased with how this sauce came out. So fast, great with grilled steaks.
Shadi Hasanzadenemati says
I tried your recipe last night and loved it! Can’t wait to make it again!
I’m not usually a big horseradish fan, but this was sooooooo creamy and good. It was awesome on our roast beef sandwiches!
Best horseradish sauce!