Add a little holiday flavor to your favorite frozen treat with this delicious ice cream recipe!
I know it’s cold outside. Ice cream isn’t necessarily the dessert you’re craving right now. Well put on a sweater and get over it! Eggnog ice cream is seasonal, easy and delicious (and also makes amazing cupcakes). Don’t put away the ice cream machine just yet.
If you want to get really simple you can buy pre-made eggnog, make sure it’s cold and add it straight to your ice cream maker. Does it get any easier?
Eggnog Ice Cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh grated nutmeg
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Add cream, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and a splash of vanilla to a saucepan on medium heat. For an incredibly rich ice cream, you can use all heavy cream. Bring the liquid to a gentle simmer.
- While the cream is warming up, whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl. Make sure they're well combined.
- When the cream is just starting to simmer (don't boil it), slowly temper it into the yolks while whisking.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and turn the heat down to medium low. Stir in a figure 8 motion with a wood spoon for several minutes until the mixture coats the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat. Continue to stir over an ice bath until cool. Stir in rum.
- Chill in the refrigerator until cold.
- Make ice cream according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve with fresh grated nutmeg and cinnamon on top.
For help troubleshooting a recipe, please email [email protected] I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations will be ignored.