This Cumin Marinated Grilled Flank Steak with Salsa is a delicious, healthy dinner for the entire family to enjoy!
Flank steak has become one of my favorite cuts of meat. I love how inexpensive it is to work with and I love the way it just soaks up marinade flavors like a sponge.
This past summer I discovered that grilling really is the perfect way to prepare flank steak. Broiling works fine as well when the weather’s not so nice but it doesn’t capture the same level of smokiness.
This cumin marinated grilled flank steak is an easy dinner that celebrates those charred smokey flavors I love so very much.
I decided to use the salsa in both the marinade and as an accompaniment to the grilled flank steak. For the marinade I decided to stick with and enhance the flavor profile of the salsa itself, incorporating ingredients like cumin, lime juice and cilantro.
Cumin Marinated Grilled Flank Steak with Salsa
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup your favorite salsa (don't use anything with a unique flavor)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons packed fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lime (approximately 2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, fat trimmed
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- salsa (I used Martinez Medium Salsa)
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a liquid measuring cup. Place the flank steak in a resealable plastic bag and add the marinade, tossing to coat. Place the bag in the refrigerator and marinate for a minimum of 6 hours to overnight, turning the bag periodically.
- Remove the bag from the refrigerator and allow to steak to come to room temperature before grilling. When you’re ready to cook, preheat the grill to the highest temperature. Discard the marinade and pat the steak dry. Season both sides generously with salt and pepper.
- Grill the steak on high heat for approximately 3-4 minutes per side until it’s cooked to medium-rare. Allow the meat to rest for at least 10 minutes. Slice against the grain in to thin strips. Serve topped with salsa.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)
Nami | Just One Cookbook says
It’s true, flank steak is really affordable, especially wen we need to feed a lot of people. My husband enjoys grilling and I haven’t grilled much myself, but you seem like you’re very good at grilling and made me inspired to try too! This is a beautifully photographed grilled meat (and I am not very good at taking photos of meat…).
Karen Marie says
I had all of the ingredients and just had to make this one. Used Newman’s Own Medium Salsa as that was what I had on hand. YUMMY! So full of flavor. Will definitely be making this one again. THANK YOU!
natalie @ wee eats says
flank steak is a favorite around these parts and CUMIN is the PERFECT match for flank! This recipe would be great on its own, with some tortillas, a bed of rice, or even a salad! YUM!
Nutmeg Nanny says
Oh wow, this is fantastic. My husband will definitely fall in love with this recipe :)
Mary Happymommy says
This looks yummy! My family is Colombian and have always used Cumin in recipes.