This Chicken Bacon Avocado Salad is packed full of tasty flavors and satisfying textures, making it a healthy, colorful, filling lunch or dinner. Homemade honey mustard dressing rounds out the ingredient list, which also includes tomatoes, Bibb lettuce, tomatoes, and shallots.
If I were to create a list of my top 10 favorite ingredients, bacon and avocado would definitely be right up there. I could go on about the many reasons I love them (yada yada umami, blah blah richness), but I’m sure you’ve heard it all before.
In addition to being wonderful on their own, avocados and bacon are excellent options when you need to jazz up those less glamorous ingredients like chicken breasts. This chicken bacon avocado salad is a great lunch or dinner option.
I personally love enjoying this for lunch because it gives me tons of energy to power through the rest of the day!
- I like preparing the bacon in the oven as opposed to on the stovetop.
- I love using shallots in salad recipes since they’re very mild, but you can substitute red onions.
- You can save time by purchasing pre-grilled chicken. Many grocery stores carry it in their prepared food aisle or at the salad bar. You could also use shredded rotisserie chicken (remove the skin). Here’s a tutorial on how to poach chicken breasts.
- This salad will work with either store-bought or homemade dressing. I obviously prefer homemade. I’ve included the recipe in this post, but if you’d like a standalone version to print and keep on handy, here’s my recipe for honey mustard dressing.
Looking For More Avocado Recipes?
- 4 cups Boston Bibb Lettuce coarsely chopped (approximately 1 small head)
- 2 grilled or poached chicken breasts, diced or sliced into strips (12-15 ounces)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked, drained and diced (see notes)
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons shallots
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, chicken, bacon, avocado, tomatoes and shallots, gently tossing to combine. (Note: If the avocado is overly ripe, you may want to hold off on adding it here so the pieces don’t disintegrate. Instead, add the avocado in after tossing the other ingredients with the honey mustard dressing).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, mustard, vinegar, and salt. Whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is smooth.
- Add half or 2/3 of the dressing to the salad, tossing with the ingredients (don’t add all of it at once; you might not need the full amount). Taste the lettuce and add additional dressing if desired.
- Leftover dressing can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight jar for up to 3 days. Re-whisk before using.
I like preparing bacon in the oven as opposed to on the stovetop. You can save prep time by purchasing pre-grilled chicken or using shredded rotisserie chicken without the skins. If you have a bit more time (and want to keep things more budget-friendly), here's an easy tutorial on how to poach chicken breasts.
SHOP THIS POST
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email email@example.com. I’ll try to respond as quickly as possible! This email address is only for recipe troubleshooting; Solicitations sent to this email will be ignored.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate links. I am a participant in the rewardStyle and Amazon affiliate programs, which help support Savory Simple by providing me with a small commission fee when you shop through my links, at no additional cost to you.