This decadent Broccoli Cheese Soup reminds me of the version from Panera Bread, but SO much better! The texture is silkier, and the cheddar flavor shines.
I remember first trying broccoli cheese soup in a bread bowl years ago at the Renaissance Festival in Maryland. It was comfort food bliss.
That may have been the moment when I first truly realized the magic of soup. You can dunk bread in soup whenever, but digging into the hot, soupy center of a crunchy sourdough loaf and then scraping into the gooey sides until it’s time to rip apart the outer crust… yes please.
As much as I covet the bread bowl, I save it for very special occasions. If I want to treat myself, I’d much rather make a homemade cheddar broccoli soup.
It’s wonderful. And it’s very easy. When Donna and Chad Elick from The Slow Roasted Italian kindly sent me a copy of their new cookbook, The Simple Kitchen, I knew immediately that I wanted to try their cheesy broccoli soup recipe.
It’s amazing how quickly it comes together, in just 30 minutes. That’s what truly stands out to me about this cookbook.
In addition to being full of mouth-watering comfort food options that are begging to be tried, everything looks so easy and fast. I could use more of that in my life right now, as the rush of the holiday season overwhelms me.
Some other recipes on my “to make” list include Jalapeño Cheddar Pretzel Twists, Home-Style Chicken and Biscuits, Stacked Cantina Nachos, and the Milk and Honey Dinner Rolls.
I highly recommend grabbing a copy of this book! Next time I make this soup, it MIGHT just be going into a bread bowl.
What Is Half-And-Half?
This recipe calls for half-and-half. What is half-and-half, and how do you make it if you already have cream and milk in the fridge? Read my tutorial on how to make half-and-half so you can save time and money!
How to Chop an Onion
This recipe calls for chopped onions. Check out my fast and easy technique for how to chop an onion with step-by-step photos!
Looking for more soup recipes? Be sure to also check out my Cheesy Potato Soup, Creamy Cauliflower Bacon Soup, and Chorizo, Spinach and White Bean Soup.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock (use vegetable stock for a vegetarian soup)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups roughly chopped broccoli florets (see notes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 4 cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese (see notes)
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots, and cook until the onions are translucent (approximately 5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30-60 seconds. Add the flour and stir to coat. Continue cooking for approximately 3 minutes, stirring periodically, to cook out the flour taste.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of salt, the stock and half-and-half. Bring to a simmer and cook until the soup has thickened, about 10 minutes. Add the broccoli and simmer until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon of pepper and sprinkle in cheese by the handful, stirring. Allow the cheese to melt before adding more. (Note: it’s important to do this off the burner, since too much heat can cause cheese to separate and become gritty). Taste for seasoning and add the remaining salt and pepper if desired.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)
Leigh Ann says
One of my all time favorites!
Jennifer @ Show Me the Yummy says
One of my all time faves!
Matt Robinson says
Always a favorite of mine, can’t wait to check this book out!
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen says
Broccoli cheese soup is the ultimate in comfort food! One of my favorites!
Such a perfect dish for this time of year!
Melissa Sperka says
My favorite soup of all time. Now, I know what we’re having for dinner.
Aysegul Sanford says
Broccoli and cheese soup never disappoint. I sometimes switch up the cheese to make it exciting and different, but it is always a happy day when we have this on the menu.
Can’t go wrong with these flavors. So simple and delicious!
Valerie | Valerie's Kitchen says
We are BIG fans of this soup here! Such a family-friendly, comforting choice.
Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes says
Hands down my favorite kind of soup!
Toni | Boulder Locavore says
This will be a new favorite in my house!
Stephanie Manley says
I have a bunch of broccoli in my fridge right now, I cam trying this for dinner.
Lori @ RecipeGirl says
So delicious and cozy!