Baked pumpkin with garlic yogurt sauce, also know as kaddow bowrani, is an amazing Afghan appetizer that is savory, sweet and easy to prepare.
Pumpkin is such an essential fall ingredient but I often get bored with it very quickly. I love pumpkin pie and pumpkin cheesecake but there are so many other options out there!
I understand why it’s mostly used in baked desserts but pumpkin also works wonderfully in savory dishes, such as this baked pumpkin with garlic yogurt sauce.
I first sampled this dish, also know as kaddow bowrani, at an Afghan restaurant in Baltimore called The Helmand many years ago. It’s surprisingly easy to make and incredibly addicting.
Cinnamon and a touch of sugar balance a warm and tangy garlic yogurt sauce for a unique appetizer that’s both savory and sweet. This is a simple appetizer recipe that is perfect for cozy fall dinners.
Baked Pumpkin with Garlic Yogurt Sauce
- 1 sugar pie pumpkin (approximately 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup plain, full fat or greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- With a sharp knife, slice the pumpkin in half and then again into quarters. Scoop out the seeds and use a peeler to carefully remove all of the skin. Slice the pumpkin into pieces that are 2-3 inches in size.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon and coriander.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or heavy bottom skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the pumpkin well on both sides for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over the pumpkin. Cover tightly and bake for 30 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce, combine the yogurt and garlic. Add salt to taste. Milk or water can be added to the yogurt to thin it out if necessary.
- To serve, drizzle the sauce over the pumpkin. Serve warm.
Please read my full post for additional recipe notes, tips, and serving suggestions!
For immediate help troubleshooting a recipe, please email me using the form on my contact page. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! For all general questions, please leave a comment here :)