I love celebrating Valentine’s Day. I don’t think it needs to be a big ordeal involving gifts and cards. It doesn’t even have to involve going out to dinner. In fact, my favorite way to enjoy the holiday is by having a quiet, romantic dinner for two at home. Nothing overly heavy, just small bites that are full of flavors.
Of course, the dessert must include chocolate.
To me, chocolate is the foundation for any romantic dessert and one of my favorite ways to eat is simply paired with fresh strawberries. They can be enjoyed fondue style, but that involves a bit of work before serving (and possibly a fondue pot). Classic chocolate dipped strawberries are even better because you can prepare them in advance and keep them chilled until it’s time for dessert. They’re sweet, light and fresh. A perfect romantic dessert for Valentine’s Day. But before I share the recipe…
California Strawberries is hosting a Most Romantic California Strawberry Recipe Photo Contest. I’d love to see all of you, including my food blogging friends, enter for one of three chances to win! The 1st place winner will receive a $350 Amazon gift card. Two runners-up will each receive $75 Amazon gift cards.
The contest runs from Friday, January 31st through Tuesday, February 14th 2014. To enter, snap and share a photo of your most romantic strawberry recipe, either sweet or savory. Submit your photo via Instagram or Twitter, with the hashtag #iHeartCAstrawberries OR upload the image to the CA Strawberries Facebook contest tab (Facebook.com/CAstrawberries). The photo must be your original photo & hashtag must be used when submitting via Twitter/Instagram for the recipe to count. Food bloggers may submit new, or previously published strawberry recipes by sharing your photo with an optional recipe post link.
Make sure to visit California Strawberries and enter! In the meantime, here’s my recipe for chocolate dipped strawberries. The ultimate romantic dessert.
- 16 ounces California Strawberries
- 4 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces high quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more as needed
- optional: ¼ cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- optional: ¼ cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- Wash and thoroughly dry the strawberries. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and set aside.
- Heat the bittersweet chocolate and ½ tablespoon butter together in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water and stir until smooth.
- One at a time, dip the strawberries into the chocolate, turning the berries to make sure they’re evenly coated (I like to leave a hint of red at the top). Gently shake the excess chocolate back into the bowl. If using, dip the tip of the strawberry into either the toasted coconut or nuts. Place the strawberry on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat this process with half of the remaining strawberries.
- Heat the white chocolate and ½ tablespoon butter together in a separate heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water and stir until smooth. The white chocolate might not thin out as much as the bittersweet chocolate. If needed, add up to an additional tablespoon of butter. Repeat the chocolate dipping process with the remaining strawberries and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator and chill until the chocolate sets, approximately 30 minutes.
Disclaimer: I was paid to develop a recipe for California Strawberries in conjunction with their 4th Annual Most Romantic Strawberry Recipe Photo Contest. As always, all opinions are my own.Don't miss future updates from Savory Simple! Subscribe to new recipes by email. You can also follow me via RSS, Facebook and Twitter.