I love making chutneys. They’re simple to make and pair perfectly with chicken or pork for a tasty weeknight meal. This apple chutney is a recent favorite of mine. Many chutney recipes use raisins; I decided to use dried cherries instead.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-3 medium tart apples (3 cups)
- 2 large shallots, sliced thin (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup dried cherries
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¾ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sweat shallots in butter. While they're sweating you can peel, core and roughly chop the apples.
- Add the apples to the saucepan and then add the lemon juice, stirring. Turn up the heat.
- Add the brown sugar and dried cherries while simmering.
- Add the apple cider, vinegar and spices. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cover.
- Simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and allow excess liquid to cook off.
email. You can also follow me via RSS, Facebook and Twitter.