Crispy Goat Cheese Salad with Strawberries and Avocados
This Crispy Goat Cheese Salad with Strawberries and Avocados is perfect for Spring and Summer!
Prep Time15 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 2 -3 salads
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice, strained (approximately 1 orange)
- 1/4 cup good extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon shallots, minced
- pinch salt & pepper
Crispy goat cheese:
- 4-6 ounces chilled goat cheese, sliced into 1 ounce medallions
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- neutral high heat oil for frying, such as vegetable or safflower
- 3 cups arugula, or salad greens of your choice
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced thin
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
Blend orange juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, shallots, salt and pepper in a blender. Set aside.
Prepare a breading station with 3 small bowls- one with flour and a pinch of salt and pepper, one with the beaten egg and one with the panko bread crumbs. (Tip: breading is easiest when one hand deals with the flour and panko while the other hand deals with the egg.) Dredge a medallion of goat cheese in the flour, then the egg, then finally the panko. Make sure there is a generous coating of panko and then set aside on a plate. Repeat this process with the remaining medallions and then chill the cheese until it's ready to be fried.
Place a meat or candy thermometer in a medium saucepan or dutch oven and add about 3 inches of oil. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 350 degrees F.
While the oil is heating, arrange salad plates with arugula, avocado, strawberries and almonds.
When the oil reaches 350 degrees, carefully add the chilled breaded goat cheese and fry until golden brown. Keep an eye on the temperature and try to keep it as close to 350 as possible (the temperature will drop when the goat cheese is added). After removing the fried goat cheese, allow it to drain on a paper towel for a moment before adding it to the salad.
Pulse the salad dressing briefly in the blender and then drizzle over the salad. Serve immediately.
Calories: 855kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 68g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 119mg | Sodium: 317mg | Potassium: 972mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 32.8% | Vitamin C: 87.7% | Calcium: 24.2% | Iron: 27.4%