Sesame Crusted Tofu Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing
Prep Time1 hr
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 3 -4 salads
Marinated sesame tofu:
- 1 block extra firm tofu, packed in water
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
Spicy peanut dressing:
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon honey (use light agave nectar for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3-4 cups mixed salad greens
- 3-4 tablespoons roasted unsalted peanuts
- 3-4 tablespoons scallions, sliced thin
Press as much water out of the tofu as possible. Slice into square cubes.
Add the garlic, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes and cubed tofu to a large plastic bag (do not add the sesame seeds or dressing ingredients). Seal and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour.
While the tofu is marinating, whisk together the spicy peanut dressing ingredients and set aside.
Mix together the toasted and black sesame seeds in a small bowl. Dredge each piece of tofu in the sesame seeds (I only dredged two sides).
Heat a large nonstick pan over medium low heat. You can add a small amount of oil or cooking spray but the sesame oil in the marinade should prevent sticking. Add the tofu and allow it to brown a bit before flipping sides. Periodically swirl the tofu around and keep an eye on the heat to make sure the sesame seeds don't burn. It should take several minutes per side.
Serve the tofu over mixed greens. Top each salad plate with peanuts and scallions to taste (1-2 tablespoons each per salad is a good estimate).
Drizzle spicy peanut dressing over salad and serve.
Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 895mg | Potassium: 251mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 7.7% | Vitamin C: 11.5% | Calcium: 13.8% | Iron: 15%