Summer Corn Salad
This fresh summer corn salad is a perfect way to enjoy seasonal produce! Other ingredients include red onion, tomatoes, basil, and feta (which can be omitted for a vegan salad).
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time3 mins
Total Time13 mins
Servings: 4 - 6 servings
- 4 ears of corn, shucked (around 4 cups; see notes)
- 1/2 cup diced shallot or red onion (1 medium shallot or 1 small onion)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil or cilantro
- Optional: 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (omit for a vegan salad)
- 3 tablespoons sherry or apple cider vinegar (fresh lime juice would also work)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- Other optional add-ins: diced avocado, grilled shrimp or chicken
Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil (do not salt the water). Set a medium or large bowl of ice water nearby. Cook the corn for 3 minutes, then use tongs to transfer the corn to the ice water to halt the cooking process. (Note: if you're using very fresh corn from the farmer's market, you may be able to skip this step use the corn raw! Slice off a few of the kernels and taste them).
Once the corn has cooled, slice the kernels off the cob and place in a large bowl. Add the shallots, tomatoes, basil, and feta.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Drizzle 1/2 to 3/4 of the dressing into the salad, gently tossing the ingredients together. Add the remaining vinaigrette if desired. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
Serve at room temperature or chilled. The salad will keep for several days in the refrigerator in an airtight container or covered tightly with plastic film, but it will begin losing its texture and flavor after 48 hours.
If you’re using fresh corn, keep in mind that it varies in size; don’t worry about a specific number of cups. Just know that using more or less corn may slightly impact the amount of salt and pepper you need to use, which is why I suggest seasoning to taste.
Calories: 109kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 293mg | Potassium: 117mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 310IU | Vitamin C: 6.6mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 0.2mg