Pumpkin Granola with Pecans and Cranberries is perfect as a healthy and filling breakfast or snack.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 12 (approximately)
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (use gluten-free rolled oats if desired)
- 1/2 cup raw pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (raw or toasted, but not salted)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (preferably Grade A Dark/Grade B)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
Place an oven rack on the center shelf. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, stir together the rolled oats, pumpkin seeds, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. In a liquid measuring cup or smaller bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, olive oil, and pumpkin puree. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until evenly combined.
Spread out in a thin layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 35-45 minutes, stirring periodically, until the mixture has dried out (it will become crunchier as it cools down).
Allow the mixture to cool for several minutes, then stir in the dried cranberries. Add a bit more salt to taste, if desired (I did).
Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
You can substitute 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. If you can’t locate unsalted pumpkin seeds and don’t want to use fresh, it’s fine to purchase the toasted & salted ones. Simply soak and rinse them a few times until they no longer taste salty, then dry them out a bit before using. It’s fine if they’re slightly damp when they go into the granola; they’re being mixed with wet ingredients anyway!
Yields approximately 3 cups.
Recipe adapted from The Sprouted Kitchen, by Sara Forte.
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 99mg | Potassium: 121mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1060IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1mg