Chorizo Tortilla Casserole
This chorizo tortilla casserole is a wonderful weeknight dinner, and it's also perfect for dinner parties! Leftovers freeze beautifully.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 pound uncooked loose chorizo (other ground meat such as beef or turkey may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained, 1/4 cup juice reserved
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach (baby or regular)
- 1 1/2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Monterey jack/cheddar cheese blend
- Optional toppings: salsa, sour cream, fresh cilantro, fresh jalapeño peppers
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
In a Dutch oven or heavy bottom saucepan, cook the chorizo, starting over low heat to render out the fat. Once there's fat in the pan, turn up the heat to medium and continue to cook, breaking up any larger pieces of meat. Once the chorizo is brown, approximately 4-5 minutes, drain through a fine mesh strainer and set aside.
Wipe down the pan and add the olive oil. Over medium-low heat, add the onions, garlic, cumin and chili powder. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft, 3-4 minutes.
Add the diced tomatoes, reserved juice, tomato paste, black beans, spinach, and corn. Continue cooking and stirring until the spinach has wilted, 1-2 minutes, then add the chorizo back to the pot. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place 2 corn tortillas in the bottom of the casserole dish and top evenly with 1/4 of the chorizo filling. Sprinkle 3/4 cup of cheese on top. Repeat this 3 more times, ending with the cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Use optional toppings if desired.
This freezes very well. Simply divide into individual portions before freezing.
Adapted from The Mom 100 Cookbook.
Calories: 428kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 816mg | Potassium: 444mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1355IU | Vitamin C: 6.4mg | Calcium: 290mg | Iron: 2mg